1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavillion fan running continuously

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bahookie, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bahookie

bahookie Thread Starter

Hiya
    I have a HP Pavillion D6700 which is nearly 2 years old.
    It's got Vista on it (grrr) and often goes off into its own world to do stuff I just don't need to know about. At these times, there is 100% processor usage and basically I just have to wait until it lowers itself to do something I'm requesting.
    I don't know what processor it has, the sticker has fallen off, but I know it wasn't Intel-anything.

The fan runs all time, and has been doing this for about the last year. (We signed up for Netflix and can't watch anything on this laptop because the fan is noisier than the movies.)
    The touchpad and keyboard around the c-f-t-u-j-m area gets absolutely boiling, sometimes it's too hot to touch.

I always have the laptop on a hard surface when I'm not at a desk.

OK so about 6 months ago, I googled this problem and I came across a fix which was to reduce the maximum power to the processor. This did not seem like a good idea (no technical idea why, it just seemed analogous to reducing the sugar supply to my brain) however when I did the enormous sound of the fan ramped downwards to a background hum and everything got much cooler. I played around with it and it seems that 70% is the power level at which things quieten down.
    It means that I can hear the dialogue of a movie, but the action is a bit jerky, which is not ideal.
    Btw, I also use the computer for other things than movies.

So my questions are:

Is reducing the maximum power level the processor harming my computer?
    Is the overheating a symptom of a serious problem?
    Should the fan be running all the time?
    Is there another way of getting the fan to shut up a wee bit?!
    Is there some kind of design fault that allows everything to get so hot I could fry an egg on it?

I've never like this computer, from the day I got it, sometimes I think it senses this.

I'd be really grateful for your help.

Thanks in advance,
    Jane

2. bahookie

bahookie Thread Starter

Did I ask a stupid question?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not a stupid question, you just need to be patient.

Are you sure its a HP Pavillion D6700? Can you verify it with the sticker on the bottom of the laptop and post the full model number AND part number?

And there are several serious design flaws with HP laptops from that time frame - HP put out some real junk for a while. Overheating, component failure, and eventual complete failure was a severe problem.

4. Compiler

Compiler

You can download PCWizard below, on my sig. It'll tell you a lot more about your computer and its temp. It maynot give you a specific model number (which should be on your case), but the CPU, RAM and mobo type will help us.

There are 3 different versions of the 6700... is this one yours?
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3879090

The fan shouldn't be spinning so fast, constantly. The cooling vents and heat sink maybe covered in dust and gunk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice