1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavillion Notebook HELP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by estitchery, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. estitchery

estitchery Thread Starter

I have a HP pavillion Notebook (DV9700 with Vista) that is suppose to have a built in camera. However I can not access this camera. Is there someway or something I have to do before trying to access the camera?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that is suppose to have a built in camera

can you see the camera exist physically ?
    if so then there is probably a simple way to swtich it on

i will look up the model see if i can find the manual
    HP usually have lots of different models and DV9700 is a generic number - do you have another n umber somewher
    DV97xx

this pdf show the camera (on selected models only )
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295898.pdf
    on the lid No2
    do you have this
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01082089.pdf

Heres a list of all the different DV9700 options
    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look...nt=S-A-R135-1&h_pagetype=s-001&h_query=dv9700

not your model - but does go through some steps, which I would advise
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...1&lc=en&cc=bo&dlc=es&product=94910&rule=13455

3. estitchery

as per the adobe picture you sent, yes I have the

(1)Internal display switch Turns off the display if the display is closed while the computer is
    on.​
    (2) ​
    Internal microphones (2) Record sound.​

NOTE: ​
    If there is a microphone icon next to each microphone
    opening, your computer has internal microphones.​

(3) ​
    Integrated camera light (select models only) On: The integrated camera is in use.​

(4) ​
    Integrated camera (select models only) Records video and captures still photographs.​

I can not see inside the "holes" on the actual laptop, but I know the microphone works, as I have used it.

I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday with HP support and all they came up with was that they could not find any camera on the computer. My husband ordered the laptop for me and he is positive the write up said it contained a camera. A HP repair center suggests the simpliest remedy would be to get an externa camera.

The label on the bottom of my laptop says the model number is dv9700 (no letter after it) On the HP System Information all it says is "HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC.

4. estitchery

First I want to say thanks for and all help.

As for the adobe link, my machine as all four of the parts listed:
    (1) ​
    Internal display switch Turns off the display if the display is closed while the computer is
    on.​

(2) ​
    Internal microphones (2) Record sound.​

NOTE: ​
    If there is a microphone icon next to each microphone
    opening, your computer has internal microphones.​

(3) ​
    Integrated camera light (select models only) On: The integrated camera is in use.​

(4) ​
    Integrated camera (select models only) Records video and captures still photographs.​

I can see two 'holes" above my screen, but I can not see inside them. I know the microphone works because I have used it.

The label on the bottom of my machine says it's a dv9700 (no letter after it) The HP System Information calls it HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC.

I spent over 1 hour on the phone yesterday with HP support, and all they could say was they don't see any camera set up on the machine. My husband is positive when he ordered it, it had a built in camera! A HP repair center told me the best remedy would be an external camera. Any help you can offer to discover if there is a camera in this machine and how to turn it on would be greatly appreciated. I will wait a few days before going to buy a external camera

again, thanks for any and all assistance

estitchery

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK - lets have a look at device manager

goto
    control panel
    you should see device manager
    click on that
    you will get a list
    look for
    imaging devices
    click on the plus sign
    you should see a camera listed

Make sure there are no ! or ? listed anywhere

6. Mollie

Mollie

With your laptop open, look right above the screen. There should be a camera "eye," and it may or may not have the words "webcam" or "HP Webcam" right next to it. If you don't see anything like that, you probably don't have a webcam. (I'm presuming by camera you mean "webcam.")

Good luck!

Mollie

7. estitchery

ok I check contral panel then device manager and I do not see anything called imaging devices. I guess that means there is NO camera in this machine? Like HP support told me.

thanks anyway for all your help

estitchery

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is it listed on the CUSTOMER PACKING LIST? If so, you have a gripe with HP. If not, you probably did not get charged for one.

9. estitchery

Thanks anyway Terry but I didn't buy from directly from HP - my husband bought it off ebay. I have already written to the person it was purchased from - waiting for his response.:confused:

Thanks all, but it looks like I'll have to purchase an external camera to solve this problem :)

estitchery

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If it has a camera, you'd be able to physically see it on the bezel. If there isn't a camera physically on the computer, then one doesn't exist.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!