1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp pavillion system recovery troubleshooting!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by posedeath, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. posedeath

posedeath Thread Starter

hi
    i have a hp pavillion notebook. i used a system recovery cd that came with a hp pavillion desktop. when i got to the recovery screen it said im not using a hp pavillion system recovery disk or if i am to contact hp, when i press enter it disapears and shuts off computer. before doing that and wasting my time on the phone i was wondering if anyone had an answer. if i take the disc out and try to boot, it gives me an error saying i dont have the correct disc installed please insert it(or something along those lines), and i cant load windows at all. its just a white text on black background warning. if i put the disc 1 in ,however, it does as it did before and wont let me proceed with the recovery.. what do i do!? is it because the recovery disc for a desktop is different from a notebook? its a disk for windows me and my notebook had windows xp. i assumed it would just give me me instead which i was fine with, could that be the reason? thanks! sorry its so long.

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

basically if the disc did not come with the notebook, it wont help. you really just have to call HP and ask them to send you a recovery disc set for your model of notebook, have documentation for the laptop ready becuz the companies ask alotta questions nowadays. and also ask them why your other disc set is being so crappy..

3. slashnburn

slashnburn

Welcome to the TSG forums.

The disks are DIFFERENT, and are NOT interchangeable. Odd are good that you DON'T need a System Recovery disk, because HP hides the recovery files on a separate partition on the harddrive.

Try this; boot the system, and watch the screen for details about which key to press for System Recovery (might be the F11 key). Press the right key, and you should get instructions on how to repair / restore / recover your WinXP installation.

Let us know if you have more questions.

4. posedeath

posedeath Thread Starter

i cant get to anything though, the SMART failure predicted comes up no matter what Fbutton i press a million times.

5. slashnburn

slashnburn

Gee, I wish you'd mentioned the SMART message in your original post, because THAT is bad news; SMART is a tool that tells you that the harddrive is having problems, and odds are good it is just about ready for the junk pile. If the drive HAS failed, then obviously, you CAN'T use it to restore your system.

How old is your system? Is it still under warranty? If you bought it with a credit card, you might have a warranty through your card company. Do some checking, but be prepared for bad news.

Find out what you can about warranty coverage, including an extended warranty via the credit card company, and let us know what you learn. Someone will be able to advise you on your next move, which will be to replace the harddrive, whether under warranty or at your expense, through HP, or a local repair shop.

Good luck; see you in the ether.

6. slashnburn

slashnburn

Did this advice solve your problem? If so, please tell us so we can mark this thread as solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!