1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hp pavillion takes about 30 mins to boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by qcity, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

This may be a harddrive failure but the pc is a refurbished Hp that I've had about 9 mos.
    It started running everything EXtremely slow 7 days ago.It is runninng winXp I've been trying to use Hp's system recovery features..System restore did nothing.To give you an idea about speed I went into Hp's recovery feature at 11 pm last night to recover xp which is in a partition on the harddrive ..It is now 8:18 am
    & it's just 92% done. I will let you know what happens but With the harddrive running this slow on all programs & bootup does this sound like harddrive slow down[failure] to any else?
    Has anyone run into this? After it boots to desktop it is still very very slow...I have Norton & Mcafee both installed...This is my Daughters PC so I'm not real concerned...I have 2 more but they are win98 & she likes hers.lol Any help appreciated.

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi qcity

If you post your startup list we may be able to spot something

Please post your startup list by doing the following :-

Please go here and download startuplist 1.51 :-

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/startuplist151.zip

Download to any folder or your desktop
    Unzip the zipfile
    Double click the exe file
    go to Edit - select all - copy - and paste the results in a new post here

steam

3. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

recovery finished & it's been trying to boot for about 15 mins. so no improvement after recovery.

4. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

I wouldn't add anything to it..Even after it starts to load desktop it is loading files in the background & won't let you do things in between..It's similiar to watching grass grow by the way happy birthday..Steamwiz
    You try to shut something down using ctrl alt delete & 5 mins later the screen shows up....I haven't even tried to get on the net.. I could put your program on a floppy, it's very small but it would take forever to install then run Thanks

5. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi qcity

This is not a good idea as both are trying to do the same thing, and this could stop either of them working properly

You should only have one anti-virus installed

to double check your anti-virus go here and do an on-line scan :-

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

or here

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan

Please also post your startup list

steam

6. steamwiz

steamwiz

Have you tried to boot up in safe mode - this could be caused by a sound or video driver

7. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

I tried to get into safe mode but haven't been able to boot up or access safe mode screen...It is looping now from shut down to windows xp startup screen.
    I held f8 down while booting is this correct...Thanks,Jim

8. steamwiz

steamwiz

Different machines have different keys - on my packard bell I hold down the Ctrl key

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It may be time to boot from a floppy and run the manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard disk. This sounds like it may be a dying hard drive.

10. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

Thanks people for the help,I thought maybe someone had run into this before..I have had pc's run slow before but never anything near this....I slept for 8 hrs last night while recovery was running & still had to wait 2 more this AM so I'm going for the new harddrive ..I called HP about the recovery disks & they will be here on the 23rd.
    My daughter has my old home built 1.4 AMD so she's happy & I'm looking for a good reasonable harddrive.
    One day at a time sweet Jesus..Thanks again,Jim

11. Mustnged

Mustnged

the new system that HP uses is they put the restore data on a partition on the hard drive. this is accessed by pressing F10 during bootup. This eliminated having to restore your software from Restore Cds, which always are misplaced.

The new method of recovery takes no more than 1 hour, especially on your machine which operates at 1.4ghz. This 8 hour garbage is definitely inaccurate. Most HP computers come with Maxtor or Quantum hard drives. Download powermax.exe from Maxtor website and run the test on your hard drive. If it fails, the problem is your hard drive.

12. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

Mustnged
    I know how long it should take but I told you the actual amount of time it took... No one wants to believe how long this thing takes..I'm a patient person but I would need Job's patience to fool with this anymore...Even if it's not the drive it's the logical place to start to me..What else would make everything extremely slow?
    One day at a time sweet Jesus Thanks,Jim

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The Achilles hell of the HP scheme is that when the hard disk fails, you're dead! When I encounter an HP system with this stupid arrangement, the first thing I do is configure it the way I want the basic configuration to be, and make a complete GHOST image on CD's. Then I free up the five or so gigabytes that they wasted with their stupid recovery scheme by killing off that partition!:mad:

14. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

Problem solved thanks for the help people..
    I took the drive out & put it in another Pc that I had & ran fdisk to remove all partitions.put new partition on it then reformatted & ran powermax from Maxtor as someone suggested & all tests were great for drive so I tried to restore system with disks I ordered from HP.
    It still took over 10hrs. to run restore so I knew problem was still with me...I was going to try a different processer in MB next but the only processer I had to use was a 1.4 running at 100mhz so I looked in bios to see if I could manually slow down bus but no such luck but while I was in there I decided to restore system defaults since it was new install & I had nothing to lose so I reset then saved & exited bios & praise the Lord it was back to normal again...Does anyone have a clue what would have changed the bios so radically ?
    That system hit the ground running from day one & I had never been in bios before so I'm almost positive it wasn't me..At least nothing I did on purpose....Anyway thanks for your help & happy computing people,Jim
    One day at a time sweet Jesus

15. LEDchip

LEDchip

I have a Toshiba 2-gig P4-M notebook 512mb 60gigHD winXP Pro nvidia graphics 64MB UXGA. I have everything from AutoCAD LT and AfterEffects to Word XP Office. HUGE video data files.
    My start up from a cold start is taking forever. Coming off hibernate is quick but still too glitchy for me to use reliably.
    Here is the startuplist file.
    Can someone please help.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice