1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Pavillion will not turn on immediately after complete shutdown...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katkandu, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katkandu

katkandu Thread Starter

HP Pavillion will not turn on immediately after complete shutdown...

If you choose start/shutdown and power the pc all the way down, then press the power button to turn it back on it will not boot. It will power on, cd light comes on, can hear the pc fans and hears the kicker...the power light doesn't light, the suspend light does.

IF...you wait about 15-20 minutes, you can turn it back on. Acts as though it has to cool down. All fans are working.

Any clue?

2. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Number-1... you don't ever want to turn the power back on immediately after the machine shuts off !!! You must wait at least until the disk-drive(s) spin down and stop. I always wait at least 15 seconds. However, 15 minutes seems excessive.

Also, I don't see any need to power all the way down if you are just going to start right back up. Nighty-eight times out of a hundred a warm-start (shutdown with restart) will accomplish just as much as a cold-start (power-off).

3. katkandu

katkandu Thread Starter

Right...of course you let the hard drive, fans, etc come to a stop and normally there would never be a need for them to turn their computer back on after shutting down.

When this occurs is if the computer hangs and won't even respond to ctrl+alt+del to reset it. They have to power it off and then back on to restart. That is when/why they discovered the pc needs a minimum 10 sometimes 15 minutes to 'cool' down so to speak, before they can get the hard drive to spin.

Very weird, never seen a machine behave this way. Like i said, the power does come on but is limited. You cannot open the cd rom although the light is on showing power. You can hear the fans but the hard drive won't initiate.

I think this is definately hardware related but not sure if it is the motherboard, hard drive, or maybe neither...maybe its in the bios????

4. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

My guess would be the power-supply. Either it has some sort of "feature" allowing or requiring a cool-down cycle before it can supply full power - or it's on its way out. If I had the problem and wanted to pursue it further I would get the specs off the PSU and see what the manufacturer says about it.

5. katkandu

katkandu Thread Starter

Thanks! That sounds very well possible.

Great tip!

6. dmatch01

dmatch01

I'm re-installing the OS on a HP Pavillion 8560C for one of my friends and seem to be having the same problem. Was there any resolution to this problem?

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It looked like the PSU was dying on this one, why are you reinstalling? What brought it on? Crashes?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/95562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice