1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP PC won't run XP after using recovery CDs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nothingface, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nothingface

Nothingface Thread Starter

I have a friend's HP Pavilion 7905 (xp home). Basically, I did a recovery from the official HP recovery CDs (I don't know what the initial probelm was because another friend formatted it previously). However, when it boots up after the recovery, it says 'cannot find HAL.DLL..it's needed to run windows. Press any key to reboot.." or something to that effect. So I got a copy of HAL.DLL and used the recovery console to copy the file into the system32 directory. But now, I get a stop error message; it happens as the windows xp logo is on. It's "STOP - PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED 0X0000006B". I did a bit of research and it seems that Roxio Easy cd creator causes this problem. I figure it was automatically installed when I did the recovery. I tried booting in safe mode..I still get the error message. I'm trying to find a way to get rid of roxio. I thought I could go into the recovery console and delete the roxio folder if i find it. is that a good idea, or what do you guys recommend? thanks...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice