1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Photosmart S20 install on Win XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brucedl, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brucedl

brucedl Thread Starter

Hello,

I previously had this scanner working fine on an upgrade Win98 to XP install. I decided to go for a clean XP Pro build, and now can't ge tthis scanner to install. I keep getting a message "The service name or the service display name is already in use." The PC recognizes the scanner when I plug in the USB cable, but I can't get it to initialize it.

I was able to get it to work on anothe rPC, so the scanner is not hosed.

It is plugged directly in to a USB port on the PC, not a hub (though that is where it used to work). I've also trued it through the sme port on the hub as it used to be on.

2. slipe

slipe

3. brucedl

brucedl Thread Starter

Latest drivers installed, uninstalled, reinstalled. Same drivers installed on other machine, worked fine.

4. brucedl

brucedl Thread Starter

Other considerations-same USB cable worked on another Pc with this device. Other USB devices plugged into the USB ports also work on this PC.

5. slipe

slipe

I think you need to start from scratch.

- Unplug the USB
    - Uninstall PrecisionScan or whatever the S-20 comes with.
    - Remove the scanner from Cameras and Scanners in Control Panel or in device manager. I have the SCSI PhotoSmart and it shows up in device manager, but I think USB scanners show up in control panel.
    - Do a search for twain and remove ALL you find in the Windows folder.
    - Do a search for HP, PrecisionScan. PhotoSmart or anything you can associate with the scanner. Remove anything left.
    - If you are comfortable in the registry, do a search and remove all links there.

Get out your instructions and follow them exactly as to whether it wants the software installed before or after the scanner is plugged in, And whether it wants it installed at the “New hardware found” box or whether it wants you to cancel out of that and install it as software. if it wants the new hardware box I would reboot before plugging the scanner in – it should come up when you plug it in but a reboot will give you better odds.

6. brucedl

brucedl Thread Starter

I got a tip or two from HP support, who first wanted to charge me $25 (had the scanner over a year) but then I was able to glean some insight.

Though the following links didn't apply to my scanner, they do display the same error:

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/ccsearch/getdoc?doc=bpu03102

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/ccsearch/getdoc?doc=bpu03099

I was able to solve the problem by nuking all references to the Phososmart C5101A from my registry. I had to change some permissions because the settings were for Legacy hardware in the root folders. My feeling about what happened is that native XP installs puts the registry items in, and then attempts to install new drivers over that won't go because they already appear to exist.

In any case, the issue is closed. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice