1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Precisionscan for scanjet problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JCross, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

I have an Hp scanjet 5300c scanner, and am using precisionscan software. I have an Dell pc with Xp home. The problem I am having is that initially the scanner and software work great, after a day or so the software says that it cannot find the scanner connected. I have called Hp and had them send me the most updated software and drivers for the scanner. I have tried connecting it by usb and paralell port. I cannot figure out why after using it for a day or so it stops working.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

Thanks

2. bobc

bobc

Are you still looking for a solution to this problem?

3. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

I am if you have one. I still have the scanner. It still occasionally locks up and I have to reinstall the scanner/software. I can't figure out why this happens. I just been dealing with it.

Thanks

4. Arky

Arky

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I have a HP ScanJet 4470C and am using Precisionscan Pro with a USB connection with both my Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP2 computers. The software version for my scanner is 3.14 and is 63.35 MB, and the software version for your scanner is 3.04 and is 76.7 MB.

I'm curious about this because your scanner is obviously a newer model than mine is, but it appears to be using an older software version. :confused:

6. Arky

Arky

The 5300 Scanjet series is over ten years old. Introduced in late 80s or early 90s.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Model numbers normally increase with newer models.

If that scanner is that many years old, I doubt very seriously that the HP site would be posting Windows XP software for it, and with 2000 - 2004 release dates.

This site is the product specification site for the HP ScanJet 5300C.

8. Arky

Arky

Yes Virginia, the 5300 line is that old and HP does a very nice job of maintaining their product support.

You can go to the link I posted and get driver updates and support for any of their products. At that site you can also subscribe to updates for which you will receive e-mail notice of any of their product/driver updates.

Incidentally, the 5300Cse went for $320. How much is in your scanner?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm surprised that a scanner that old would even have a USB port and have software updates for Windows XP, but the HP software updates site did have it for the 5300C.

A HP rep told me that they don't usually provide software updates for products more than a couple of years old because it's not cost-effective for HP to continue to do so.

You might give the Precisionscan Pro 3.14 software a try.

10. bobc

bobc

I had a similar problem with a Scanjet 3200c on both a win98SE and Win 2000 platform. The problem seemed to be precipitated by a recent re-install of the Precisionscan software, or by having "crashed out" in the middle of a scan. The scanner was connected directly to the PC with a downline printer connected to the scanner. I resolved the problem by doing a clean install with the printer disconnected, then reconnecting the printer after a succesfull run with the scanner.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/292813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice