HP Printer drivers uninstall error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Palladia-Mors

Hi folks,

Recently I discovered a text file at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data. It is named hpzinstall and is a log of the installation and uninstallation of the drivers and programs associated with an HP printer I used to have.

Reading it, I found out that All-In-One Series and Photosmart Printer Series did not uninstall. Instead, each one got this error:

<Software Uninstall=No>
<Result of Uninstall=9:The storage control block address is invalid.

I am wondering if anyone knows what I need to do to finish uninstalling this software. I now wonder if the failure to uninstall it is the reason I can't get my new Canon scanner drivers to install properly (the scanner has never worked).

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Palladia-Mors

I installed CCleaner but... I don't know how to use it. This program appears to leave it up to me what individual things to delete from the registry and from wherever else on the computer. It doesn't have instructions. I don't really know what Tools > Delete Entry or Registry > Fix Selected Issues actually do. Could you please tell me something about how to operate CCleaner?

Also, I'm not seeing these two HP programs anywhere among the things CCleaner offers to delete.

Don't ever mess with the registry..... It can go horribly wrong!!!!

I see you have found the tools section. Well done! Now locate the software, can u find it there?
If yes, click on it and click on the run uninstaller button on the right hand side.
If not, close CCleaner, and follow the steps given below:

1. Open Devices and Printers from Control Panel.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to remove, click Remove device, and then click Yes.
    If you can't delete the printer, right-click it again, click Run as administrator, click Remove device, and then click Yes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Does this work?

Palladia-Mors

Unfortunately, I already removed the printer long ago. Apparently the regular way to remove the printer just didn't get rid of these two programs because of this Error 9.

I know that my registry is full of things left from tons of programs I have uninstalled (or tried to uninstall) over the years, but I've never gone in and edited it. I have lots of System Restore Points, but don't really know if that's an adequate backup.

You are welcome! :)

But you know what... I feel if you have installed the software and it never installed properly, then you may try installing it again instead of trying to remove the incorrectly installed part.

If you are determined to remove the software before installing it again, I've heard of a software called Revo Uninstaller, but I've never tried it personally.
Also, when you open CCleaner, you open the Cleaner option by default. Now give a scan and remove the useless files. That may remove the incorrectly installed software too.

Best of Luck!

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You might try Emailing HP Support and asking for their Image Zone Removal tool ..
[email protected]

If they tell you they don't have one ..
Ask them what is Gr_uninstall.exe and what are the instructions ??

Palladia-Mors

I'm emailing HP customer support now.

Firebreather the software I'm trying to uninstall was for a printer that broke, which I got rid of. The software that won't install properly is for my new printer/scanner, a Canon machine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online