1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Printer Ink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brvsfn01, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

Hi and Merry Christmas all,

I did a search and didn't see this topic so i am posting it here. I have an HP 3830 AIO and I am getting frustrated by the high prices that HP and other printer makers charge for their ink. I know it is no secret that printers are pretty much given away and the makers get their money back in the ink but this is a low end printer (a nice one but low end nonetheless). A Black and a Tri-Color cartridge set (Standard not XL) for this printer at Walmart will cost me $45.00 plus tax and I say this same printer last month regular price at Office Max for $49.00 so my question is what the actual hell?? I would do just as well to buy a new printer each time I run out of ink with the notable exception that if I (and millions of others) were to do this the landfills would be overflowing with plastic printer carcasses in very short order.

I have done some investigating on Amazon and I can get off brand cartridges for $30.00 for the set which I am OK with. I know there is a huge debate about this and the possible risks in using non-manufactures cartridges but considering the financial savings to me I am OK with this. If I somehow hose my printer I'll go out and get another one for only $4.00 more than the cost of HP ink but I want opinions on this so let the games begin. Thanks everyone!

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't know about the new models.
    Old models of HP, before they started trying to get you into the "buy ink from us" program, are able to use 3rd party ink.

I just replaced a black cart in a 722C with an LD cart. Yup, that printer is from about 1997 and still works fine.
    https://www.ldproducts.com/
    I don't work for LD or get a commission. I was using their ink in two printers. The other was an HP 660Cse which I e-cycled last year. I know their carts work in my old printers.

In fact, I have a deskjet 1055 from 2011 that stopped printing when I installed an original HP cart! It is sitting around gathering dust because I don't want to spend money on another HP cart and still have it fail to print a thing.
    Maybe I should try an LD cart because the HP cart sure isn't working!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice