1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP ProBook 4530s mother board Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XX_Fallen_XX, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XX_Fallen_XX

XX_Fallen_XX Thread Starter

Greetings all! I have a probook 4530s with a i3 2310m processor, 4gb PC3 10600 DDR3 ram, 320gb HD, with Intel HD graphics. So far I've thrown in a extra 4gb of ram and a Samsung 850 250gb SSD. I want to upgrade the old motherboard (part number 646245-001) to the newer one with i7 quad core support and AMD Radeon HD 1gb card (part number 665116-001). My question is this. What other parts will I need for this swap out? I believe I will need a new heat sink because if the discrete graphics. And will my laptop base fit the new mobo? Just looking for a bit of guidance for the swap out. I will post a link for the laptop parts guide located on my Google Drive. Thanks for the advice and knowledge!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5TPOH2T0D0EeWYtLTlGVDRYb0U/edit?usp=docslist_api

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You may be better off selling the laptop and then buying the better model. Looking at your link you will have to upgrade not only the motherboard and Cpu bu also the Usb board, charger, base enclosure, screen plastics ...

Unless you can find the parts really cheaply it could even cost less to just buy the upgraded laptop !

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You will need new copy of windows as the one installed from the factory is tied to the existing motherboard. Also a newer motherboard may not fit the case or connect properly to the other existing hardware of the laptop. I agree with Allan, it would probably be better to but a new laptop with the specs you want.

4. XX_Fallen_XX

Damn I wish it was just as easy as swapping motherboards. But I can upgrade this to the i7 dual core, sell it, and get a laptop with a better graphics card.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Why spend the money to upgrade it then sell it? Save that money and add it to the money you get from selling the existing laptop to purchase the laptop you want.. This is the way I would do it.

6. XX_Fallen_XX

Well I believe it would sell better and I'd get more money with higher specs. But ill consider selling it as is.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most people don't need or care for an i7 and you wouldn't get the money you put into the CPU back from it. It should sell just fine as it is.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!