Solved Hp ProBook 6460 fn key troubles

RoneOmbre

Rone
Hello all again! I finally received my Adapter, it was late due to weather conditions near me. Anyways, I plug it in and I'm still getting the same black screen issue. I'm figuring it's because I can't get my Fn/ Action key to work in order to click the multi monitors/ monitor config button on my keyboard. show here:
Action Fn Keys.png(This isn't my exact keyboard it's just the same buttons.) I tried going into the Bios setup to enable the Action Keys but I couldn't even find the settings. If you all have any help to share it's greatly appreciated (I currently have purchased a HDMI to VGA adapter and an HDMI to VGA converter cord, so far no luck yet with either cord :(

managed

Allan
I think I linked to the wrong adapter, if so I do apologise.

I thought the laptop had an HDMI socket and the Monitor was VGA but I think it's the other way around isn't it ?
If so you need a VGA to HDMI adapter like this one :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/VENTION-Co...rds=vga+to+hdmi+adapter&qid=1607372744&sr=8-8

Amazon are usually very good and should give you a refund if you return the first adapter.
Once again I'm sorry for the mix up.

RoneOmbre

Rone

I thought the laptop had an HDMI socket and the Monitor was VGA but I think it's the other way around isn't it ?
If so you need a VGA to HDMI adapter like this one :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/VENTION-Co...rds=vga+to+hdmi+adapter&qid=1607372744&sr=8-8

Amazon are usually very good and should give you a refund if you return the first adapter.
I looked at a different Cable since I'm based in the US luckily, I read some other forums and it seems like to connect an exterior monitor to my laptop it has something to do with the Action Keys, however when I try and plug the monitor in it doesn't seem to work

managed

Allan
Can you post a link to the 'new' cable you bought please ?

RoneOmbre

Rone

I luckily got a refund! I'll look into the other cable.

managed

Allan
I luckily got a refund! I'll look into the other cable.
That's great. (y) I'm relieved.

Something I noticed when researching your problem is rather than holding it down to just tap the Fn key (press and release) then tap the F4 key, worth a try using the original cable you bought.

If the above doesn't work you may still need the correct adapter, just make sure it's VGA to HDMI not the other way around. (the one I linked to in my previous post #22 should work).

Do the other F keys work when you hold down or tap the Fn key first ?

RoneOmbre

Rone
That's great. (y) I'm relieved.

Something I noticed when researching your problem is rather than holding it down to just tap the Fn key (press and release) then tap the F4 key, worth a try using the original cable you bought.

If the above doesn't work you may still need the correct adapter, just make sure it's VGA to HDMI not the other way around. (the one I linked to in my previous post #22 should work).

Do the other F keys work when you hold down or tap the Fn key first ?
The other Fn keys seem to work, but it seems like the Monitor button doesn't. I'm guessing I still don't have the right cable.

Couriant

James
I don't think you can make VGA work on a HDMI connection.... DisplayPort you may be able to.

Having said that, have you tried Windows Key and P to get the Project option and choose Extend:

1607465579453.png

RoneOmbre

Rone
I don't think you can make VGA work on a HDMI connection.... DisplayPort you may be able to.

Having said that, have you tried Windows Key and P to get the Project option and choose Extend:
Thank you so much for that shortcut, that's definitely one of the things I needed to figure out!
I'm planning to invest in another cord, since the ones I currently have aren't working

Couriant

James
Is your monitor too new to have VGA on it? What ports do you have on the monitor?

managed

Allan

Couriant

James
My concern is the VGA to HDMI as VGA has a maximum resolution... though it look like this machine has a VGA port that supports resolutions up to 2048x1536 at 75Hz so it should be OK without too much of an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online