1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP ProLiant DL580 G5 - In cardiac arrest, please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Refspee, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Refspee

Refspee Thread Starter

Hi, I wondered if any kind soul out there might be able to help me troubleshoot a problem with my old faithful ProLiant server.

It comes under the hobbiest category here as I only use it for testing things, but much as you are not supposed to become attached to tech stuff and just move on, I like it and it has done me well so I am hoping to rescue it rather than replace it. I enjoy its multi-tasking skill of offering good virtualization computing whilst heating the office better than any heater I have

Having been shutdown correctly a few months ago, when I went to start it this time, it is totally dead. No LED on either rear power supply though the power supply fans are both running. Other than that nothing at all. No LEDs showing on the mobo or anywhere else at all. No power to the CD drive either to open it. You can hear something spinning up for a moment every now and again, then stopping but that is it. I wondered if someone could help me through with trouble shooting to find the cause.

What I have done so far.

Drunk alot of tea, scratched head repeatedly.

Swapped out both PSUs for known working ones. Same scenario.
    Swapped PSUs around. Used bay 3 and 4, then 1 and 2, then 1 and 4 etc. no improvement either way.

Removed all RAM, put 1 in only.

Removed all HDD's replaced.

So all I have ruled out so far is that the PSU's are working, not sure what the next step to test should be. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ben.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1205889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice