HP PSC 500 & XP problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wendywarner

Hi,
I have a HP PSC 500 and recently bought a new computer that has XP Home edition on it. The HP PSC 500 has a parallel port on it and my computer only uses USB.

First question, I found that when I tried to install the printer, it is not compatible with Windows XP. I have done some research, going to HP site and MS site, but nothing they suggest works for me. Is there anyone out there that can help me fix this problem?

Second question, can I use a USB adapter to plug my printer into my computer?

Thanks

wendywarner said:
Hi,
I have a HP PSC 500 and recently bought a new computer that has XP Home edition on it. The HP PSC 500 has a parallel port on it and my computer only uses USB.

First question, I found that when I tried to install the printer, it is not compatible with Windows XP. I have done some research, going to HP site and MS site, but nothing they suggest works for me. Is there anyone out there that can help me fix this problem?

Second question, can I use a USB adapter to plug my printer into my computer?

Thanks
Hi wendywarner,

Aside from the fact that your printer is discontinued by HP, and incompatible from a hardware point-of-view, I would suggest you either sell it or donate it to a local school/college which may be able to use it(for a tax credit also?), and look for HP PSC 1315 at your local Best Buy - normally $99 (I got a $20 rebate from HP).

The problem cannot be "fixed", and no, a USB adapter is also incompatible with your printer, so you cannot plug your printer into your computer.

-- Tom

wendywarner

Hi, thanks for replying. Is there no other way, I have seen many other issues like this one exactly that give directions on how to solve it, however I need something more straightforward, like how do I find the hidden XP driver files on my computer, which is one way to solve it by finding the driver.cab file and then using the HP PSC 500 driver that comes with XP.

Anyone??

wendywarner said:
Hi, thanks for replying. Is there no other way, I have seen many other issues like this one exactly that give directions on how to solve it, however I need something more straightforward, like how do I find the hidden XP driver files on my computer, which is one way to solve it by finding the driver.cab file and then using the HP PSC 500 driver that comes with XP.
Anyone??
Hi wendywarner,

To find the hidden devices:
Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager and pull-down the View menu and select show hidden devices.

To extract files from a .cab:
consult the Help and Support search for "cabinet file"
Expand Expands one or more compressed files. This command is used to retrieve compressed files from distribution disks.

Syntax
expand [-r] Source [Destination]

expand -d source.cab [-f:files]

expand source.cab -f:files Destination

Parameters
-r
Renames expanded files.
-d
Displays a list of files in the source location. Does not expand or extract the files.
-f:files
Specifies the files in a cabinet (.cab) file you want to expand. You can use wildcards (* and ?).
Source
Specifies the files to expand. Source can consist of a drive letter and colon, a directory name, a file name, or a combination. You can use wildcards (* and ?).
Destination
Specifies where files are to be expanded. If Source is multiple files and -r is not specified, Destination must be a directory. Destination can consist of a drive letter and colon, a directory name, a file name, or a combination.
/?
Displays help at the command prompt.
Remarks
Using expand at the Recovery Console
The expand command, with different parameters, is available from the Recovery Console.

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts