1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Recovery Discs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by laxatives, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laxatives

laxatives Thread Starter

I just bought an iPhone and had to switch back to winows from Linux. It turned out my installation failed (I didn't hvae the original discs on me, in fact I never got any), and had to buy a new set of recovery discs from HP. Installation went smoothly, but as soon as the computer entered the desktop, a cmd.exe window opened and the computer started going through a HP one-time setup. It stated that restarts would be normal, however my computer insisted on shutting down rather than restarting. I went through this routine of turning it back on and starting over several times, but made no progress. When I tried to install windows before I had the actual HP discs, I had the same problem, restarting on the blue windows setup. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

EDIT: Running an HP m7580n on Windows XP MCE 2005, SP 2
    Before: Ubuntu Linux: Gutsy Gibbon

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Did you remove the Linux partition before you ran the recovery disks for the computer?

3. laxatives

laxatives Thread Starter

No, but I believe the CDs were supposed to do that step for me once it realized there wasn't a working Windows Partition. I'm not 100% sure how to remove the partition without actually being in linux/windows so I'm probably goig to need some help with that

If it helps, I am not using the original vid card or PSU, I installed a ThermalTake TR2-430W and an XFX 7800 GS

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice