1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Restore OS- was upgraded to XP or 2000, need to restore orig. 98 system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bitsnbytes, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bitsnbytes

bitsnbytes Thread Starter

Ok, I am totally slipping! HP computer came with 98 they upgraded to 2000 or XP, then tried to use the recovery disk. Per link, tried all that. It did go through all the step correct except for fdisk, says “ no fixed disk present”. It is also showing as a: is the CD, b: is the floppy, and c: is hard drive. Cords ok, hard drive ok, can go to C:> dir and it shows a directory, YET, when trying to reformat, get an error “Can not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer. Make sure they are properly connected blahblahblah, Set up can not continue.”
    When I boot without any CD, I get “operation system not found”
    I went into BIOS and reset to default in case they tinkered in there. Can’t start in Safe mode either. It is a Pavillion 6553.

Suggest?

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/docume...=en&#N10022

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

make sure the CD is set to primary; pop the CD in as soon as your computer boots up and it should boot to the CD if the CD is bootable.

3. bitsnbytes

It boot to recovery, I can click Format, gives warnings, but then back to a C:

4. keebs

keebs

hey whats up man , umm yeaa same thing happened to my friend well u have to open up ur computer and change the jumper from ur hard drive to a different setting look up your hard drive and get the jumper settings and just put the right setting and it will start up . have any questions? email me on [email protected] thank you =]

5. bitsnbytes

You are right! What a great forum! I just have to ask.... how in the heck did he figure it out????????

6. keebs

keebs

who me? im just nice like that lol im glad i helped you out =]

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice