1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Restore OS was XP or 2000, need to restore orig. 98 system

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bitsnbytes, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bitsnbytes

bitsnbytes Thread Starter

Ok, I am totally slipping! HP computer came with 98 they upgraded to 2000 or XP, then tried to use the recovery disk. Per link, tried all that. It did go through all the step correct except for fdisk, says “ no fixed disk present”. It is also showing as a: is the CD, b: is the floppy, and c: is hard drive. Cords ok, hard drive ok, can go to C:> dir and it shows a directory, YET, when trying to reformat, get an error “Can not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer. Make sure they are properly connected blahblahblah, Set up can not continue.”
    When I boot without any CD, I get “operation system not found”
    I went into BIOS and reset to default in case they tinkered in there. Can’t start in Safe mode either. It is a Pavillion 6553.

Suggest?

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/docume...Q?reg=na&cc=us&docName=bph07140&lc=en&#N10022

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

What does it do when you boot with the Windows98 CD in?

Have you tried booting with a BOOT DISC?

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

The link that you provided pretty well sums it up. It's a conflict between FAT32 Windows 9X) and NTFS formatting (W2K & XP).

It also provides a link on how to Fdisk. Altho there are any number of people here who can walk you thru the Fdisk and format of a HD.

You are going to have to save everything you want and then Fdisk the hard drive to remove the NTFS partition and install a DOS partition. Which means, the HD is going to be like the day it came out of the box.

What size is your HD?

Do you have backups of everything on your PC?

Have you ever added any new hardware to your PC? IF so, do you still have the original hardware.

This is going to take some planning and preparation before you just jump in and do it.

Recovery CD's are unique to the PC, down to manufacture, model, sub-model, and all the original hardware. IF you have added a burner, if you have changed a video of sound card, it is NO LONGER the same PC and the recovery CD will not work.

4. bitsnbytes

no 98 CD or boot disk. I have an XP and NT! Go figure! Nothing needed on hard drive, needs wiped out and freshly formatted. Not sure of size, it is a 466Mhz with 64MB RAM. Not enough RAm for XP.

At prompt, I can't fdisk or Fdisk c:

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

The CPU is a P II 466? That should be fine for Win98 SE. The 64MB of RAM is on the lean side. But let's worry about that later.

Have you read and (more or less) understand the link in the first article about how to use Fdisk?

Here is another tutorial on Fdisk.

http://fdisk.radified.com/

Now for the boot disk. Where did you get the boot disk from? Is it a win98 boot disk, or what?

If the boot disk was downloaded from a site, was the floppy in turn CREATED of just the d/l copied to the floppy? In other words, can you boot the PC with the boot disk.

If you need it, here is a link for boot disks. Choose Windows 98 SE OEM.

6. bitsnbytes

Here is what I tried and it worked, go figure on that one!

hey whats up man , umm yeaa same thing happened to my friend well u have to open up ur computer and change the jumper from ur hard drive to a different setting look up your hard drive and get the jumper settings and just put the right setting and it will start up . have any questions? email me on

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Could you give me a few more details? Do you have two hard drives? I presume you mean a jumper on the HD.

8. EvileYe

EvileYe

Not entirely true, I have added a Burner and Video card to my HP 6326 and still use the recovery cd's as needed without a problem.

EvileYe.

9. walkeriam

walkeriam

I am confused about your method of fixing this computer. Are you trying to say you changed the JUMPER SETTINGS on the drive or you changed the SECTORS, CYLINDERS and HEAD SETTINGS in the BIOS to match the drive?

10. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

That makes two of us.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!