1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP S3505F No start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by minimustangs, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minimustangs

minimustangs Thread Starter

My buddy has an HP S3505F PC, he was experiencing stop errors, and the system had been used by a couple surf-happy younger nephews. Anyways... he asks me to take a look at it.... Cleaned up machine (optimize etc) for him and it was running much better but still throwing STOP error (too fast to see what they were). Ran the onboard diags and they came up with a memory error (BIOME-1) which is all over the internet as being bad RAM. I had him buy the correct ram as per HP website, but before I could get it installed the machine stops coming up to HP Logo screen. To me it appears that the main board went south. is thre anything I can do? Any testing? I don't get any post beeps even when I pull the RAM. THe system still shuts off with power button, CD Rom will eject, but nothing as far as main board indications of llife.

Additionally... the lone yellow light on the front (which indicated HDD activity) blinks once and then stays off. There is an LED inside the PSU at the back if the machine and it is green.

I've removed everything from the system the only things in the case are the PSU and M/Board. I was hoping for some sort of "kickstart" or reset to resolve this, but the more I think about it the more things point to a DOA unit.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would be leaning more towards a bad power supply than a bad motherboard. Power supply problems can mimick almost any thing that can go wrong with a computer.

3. minimustangs

The PSU crossed my mind, of course. Either way I'm fubar'ed to make a definitive statement on what is wrong. Although Dell has kindly provided me with one of their facy PSU testers, I don't think it will work on this one. That is the problem with these brand-specific boxes and the stripped-down, over-miniaturized components; the price of low cost...

....yea, I was right PSU connector is miniaturized and wont line up with tester. About all I can check is SATA power, and that comes up good.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Just curious, but what connector on a PSU is miniaturized?

5. minimustangs

The one that feeds the mainboard.... smaller by about 30%.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    THis is just a shot in the dark. Being a Slimline computer it may have a Propriatary Power Supply. THough it still has a 20 pin connector not a 24 pin connector. Does the Dell PSU Tester have a 24 pin connector?

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Since the board is a Mini ITX form factor board, I suspect it may use the Molex Mini-Fit Jr connectors. I don't have a size comparison chart to see how much difference there is in the Mini-Fit Jr connectors and standard connectors. Did you compare the size of the main connector on this power supply to the main connector on a standard ATX power supply with the same number of pins?

8. minimustangs

It is a proprietary PSU, the connector assembly is roughly about 30% smaller...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice