1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP scanjet 4370 disappeared

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Flurmy, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flurmy

Flurmy Thread Starter

I have a HP scanjet 4370 connected to computer running windows 2000.
    Everything worked fine until a day the HP program decided it needed to adjust the installation.
    From that moment there is no way to see the scanner anymore, or better, windows "sees" it in the Device Manager as a second level device below an Unknown Device.

I already uninstalled everything from HP (and cleaned the registry too!) and then reinstalled everything from scratch many times: no result.

To make the things clearer I can say my problem is EXACTLY the one depicted here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...docname=bps05618&product=61254&dlc=en&lang=en

I vas almost decided to reformat the HD and reinstall everything, but if the problem is of that kind the whole effort will be useless.

Help, or I'll throw my brand new scanner (less than a month old) from the window and I'll never buy an HP device again! (half a gigabyte of crap instead of a simple driver...)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you removed by using device manager including the unknown device

3. idowindows

idowindows

Have you tried HP's solution?

Solutions
    CAUTION: When installing the Firmware/Connectivity Update, make certain that all USB devices except the scanner have been disconnected from the computer system.

4. Flurmy

Flurmy Thread Starter

>have you removed by using device manager including the unknown device

Yes, of course, with no result.
    As soon as I reconnect the scanner, either when requested from the installation software or in pure windows, the "unknown device" and its descendence reappears identical to the previous one.
    That's why I suspect the corruption of the non volatile memory suggested in the HP article.

>Have you tried HP's solution?

Nope for I didn't find any "USB Connectivity/Firmware Update" for the scanjet 4370 or the 4000 family.
    In this page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=60120&rule=39&lang=en

the 4370 is not present at all (too new a model?) and selecting 4300c or 4470c or 4400c shows a list that doesn't include any "USB Connectivity/Firmware Update".

Should I try with the "ScanJet 6300c, 6200c and 5200c series USB Connectivity/Firmware Update"?
    Isn't it dangerous? Maybe not, if the software is done with a little of brain.
    I think I'll try.

>CAUTION: When installing the Firmware/Connectivity Update, make certain that all USB devices except the scanner have been disconnected from the computer system.

My SATA HD is seen by windows as a USB device. Of course I can not remove it too... :)

I have to correct a detail: not the whole half a GB of mandatory software is crap; the IRIS OCR is very good ;-)

5. Flurmy

Flurmy Thread Starter

Solved!
    How? With solution #3! :)
    From the handbook of the perfect computer expert: if solution #1 (reboot) does not work nor does solution #2 (uninstall and then reinstall), try with solution #3: reformat.
    I reinstalled windows2000 and everything else and now the scanner works fine.
    Why? No idea.
    I'm just hoping the software doesn't decide to "adjust" the installation once again...

Thank you anyway.

6. idowindows

idowindows

Perhaps creating a restore point for good measure may help it it does "adjust" the installation...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice