1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Slimline desktop Beeping and won't start up!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cap2587, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I have a HP Slimline 2360 Desktop that won't work at all. As soon as I press the start button it makes one continuous beeping noise, which lasts for 15 sec, then it goes away for 5 sec and comes back again. The screen does not show anything other than black. Would this mean that there is a hardware issue? The tower is very hard to work in as it is so tight. Could it be faulty RAM or Hard drive. Thanks for any help.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3 long beeps should mean a keyboard error.

Repeated long beeps would mean a memory error (RAM).

3. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! The beeps keeping going on past 3 times. They last about 10 sec and is one long beep. Then it breaks for 3 sec and starts beeping again. I tried different RAM I know that works fine from another system (checked it's compatibility) and the beeps were still there. What is my next step.

4. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Did you try Phantom010 other suggestion re: keyboard?
    Have you tried another keyboard?

5. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I did try another keyboard, but had no luck. It keeps beeping and am unsure what to do next. It could be the PSU, but this looks very specific to this computer and unsure how I can test this. Could it be the hard drive? I really appreciate any help you can give me.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like ram or video card. Dose this have onboard video or a pci video card as I have had these come loose in the HP slimline units as well as go bad.

7. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

It has a built in Graphics to the motherboard. I could put in a PCI card and try this. I just have to find one that is small enough as the tower is just not built for most parts. The RAM in the Computer is PC2-6400, but the manual said that PC2-4200 would also work. I did try a PC2 4200 module in the system and it still beeped. I'm kind of stuck and out of options. I need to get a PCI card that will fit in this slim tower. Thanks for the advice.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's called a low profile card and if you read the descriptive on most video cards, they have low profile brackets you can switch what is on the card to.

9. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

What exactly does a Low Profile Video Card mean? For the Slimline the opening to put the card in is smaller and the wires are very close to where the card ends. I don't mind buying a cheap GPU as long as it will fit this Slimline computer. I think this
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/fk785aa.pdf is the actual computer I have.

This card from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150503 is suppose to be a low profile card. would that work/fit in my system.

I also need to double check that the substitute RAM I used to test the system is compatible (I think it is). Could that cause the system to beep. Is a GPU problem the highest probable chance, due to nothing showing on the screen and the monitor blinking? Thanks for the advice.

10. fodelement

fodelement

Not to be rude or under mind anyone. But if the onboard video does not work, how is adding a dedicated card going to fix anything?

What would really help is if you give us the actual beep codes. Write them down from when they start, up until they end. Then post them here.

EDIT: I can't find that model number anywhere, are you sure you got it right?

11. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I think this is the model # HP Pavilion Slimline s3620f PC. I am at work now and can be 100% correct later today when I get home. I will also give the exact beeping code sequence. It does one long beep for about 10 sec, then stops for 3 sec and then does the sequence again and doesn't stop. I could be out by a few sec, but that should be pretty close. Thanks for your input and I will hold off on the PCI Card.

12. fodelement

fodelement

13. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Thanks for the update and link. It;s hard for me to figure out what exact beeping code mine falls into. What do you think I should try now as my next troubleshooting strategy.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Your tone is rude I'm afraid and your answer not helpful. If the onboard video is shot, a simple check of the bios to allow pci video card to take precedent over onboard, which it probably is already set to, would allow use of the pci-x16 slot there to access video properly. It is highly possible for onboard video to go and yet the video slot still works, it has never been used.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Low profile card really is mostly the frame that attaches to the pc pci=x slot and while this Newegg card sounds ok, it doesn't look like a low profile card, it may just be the photo but that looks like full size and I have seen this with Newegg before.Look here at the photos and you will see the smaller slot separtae in the photo of everything that comes with it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ow_profile_video_cards-_-14-150-484-_-Product

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice