1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Spectre x360 BIOS Downgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amrita101tt, Sep 27, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Amrita101tt

Amrita101tt Thread Starter

I have an HP Spectre x360 13 4193nr Energy Star with the latest BIOS F.53. I needed to restore my system to factory defaults and got an error. Upon reviewing the error logs I noticed that the BIOS in the installation was failing to be installed. Is there anyway to downgrade the BIOS to an earlier version? I have tried the steps on the HP website but I get an error stating "Unable to open BIOS Signature file".

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. Amrita101tt

I used the method provided as well as downloaded the previous BIOS version and it failed. It only allowed me to recover the BIOS with the current version. The reason I wanted to restore my device to factory default is because I wanted all the drivers, settings and app to be built into the system just like how I first got the device. I am aware of using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and that does work but I just wanted to use the HP Recovery media instead just because it is just my personal preference.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some bios will prohibit flashing back to an earlier version. This is especially true when using a windows based flashing program.

If your intent is to restore the system, simply make the win10 install usb using the media creation tool. Go to the support page for your system. Download all of the drivers you need; ie chipset, video, sound, etc. Save these on an external, another flash drive OR just copy them to a folder and put the folder on the win10 install disk. In any case, having all of the drivers, utilities, etc you need in one place makes the install go much easier.

Once you finish with the install, drivers, etc, make an image file of the system drive. Store the image on an external, NAS, etc. If you need a clean install in the future, it takes all of 5min or so to restore the image; clean install with drivers, utilities, etc done.

5. Amrita101tt

okay thanks for the advice but any advice as to how the BIOS can be flashed?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it will not let you flash to an earlier version, then you are out of luck. HP and other big box systems have very limited options unlike an asus, gigabyte, or other high end motherboard.

7. Amrita101tt

Alright thanks for the help

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice