hp stream does not have enough room for windows 10 update

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mnorthrup74

Hello,
I do not know if anyone can help me out with this problem, I am trying to update my parents HP stream with the most current windows 10 update and it always gives me a error that there is not enough space for the update. I have used disk cleanup , defrag and i have also tried to use a external hard drive. This has been a problem for awhile now and have no idea what I am going to do going forward with more updates. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

etaf

Wayne
how much space is free on the C: drive
do you have a D: or E: if so, how much space

mnorthrup74

There is no room on the c drive , there is no d drive that I am aware of and my e drive has over 50 gig . The update requires 8 gig, I guess this is a known problem w HP stream computers

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Remove any external drives that are connected to that "HP Stream" computer, then do the following in it:
Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about that computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

What's the exact product number(S/N) and serial number(S/N) on it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

mnorthrup74

i hope this is what you are looking for , thank you for your help

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3050 @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 76 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1905 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 27 GB (2 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 815E
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You haven't answered my question in the last line of post #4.
It will be easier to help you after your HP is correctly identified.

According to your log, your HP has only a 27 GB capacity drive.
That pretty much explains why it's almost out of free space.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
s/n scd53955ds p/n n5x86ua#aba model 11-r010nr
That serial number is "not found", but according to that product number, you have a HP Stream 11-r010nr Notebook PC(N5X86UA).

According to its product specifications section, it came with a 32 GB eMMC hard drive and came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I can't understand why computer manufacturers would design and sell laptops/notebooks with such a small capacity hard drive.
A 27 - 32 GB capacity hard drive was normal almost 20 years ago when Windows operating systems and software apps were much smaller in size.
Times have changed and much larger capacity hard drives are needed now.

I'm not sure if the eMMC drive in your laptop/notebook is user-replaceable with a larger capacity one.
I don't use external USB hard drives, so I'm not sure how you would use one to deal with your space issue.

I'll leave you with etaf and the other hardware experts here.

------------------------------------------------------------------

etaf

Wayne
that laptop is designed mainly for streaming and not storage - thats why its so cheap
HP provide a one year subscription to MSOffice which includes 1TB of online storage
in fact the usable storage on the HP machine is around 13GB
or you could Google Drive, or make use of the SD card slot
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/hp-stream-11

To over come your issue - you need to review what you are storing on the machine and remove as much as possible to free up some space
I would suggest as a rule of thumb on SSD that you leave at least 25% space free
https://www.howtogeek.com/324956/how-much-free-space-should-you-leave-on-your-windows-pc/

mnorthrup74

I have read this is a huge problem could I put it back to windows 7 it has that option or is the computer obsolete at this point?

etaf

Wayne
windows will make no difference
you are using up all your storage
the computer not obsolete - i'm afraid its not designed for a lot of storage

mnorthrup74

I am sorry I did not see your previous post, everything that is taking up storage seems to be mandatory computer items I know my parents just use it to surf the Internet so I have no idea what I can actually remove? I did put a 25 gig SD card in there to see if it would help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online