Solved HP Stream won't boot up after Win 10 update

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ed Ziarko

Last night I tried to do an update and now the notebook won't boot up. I get a Windows Boot Manager dialog box that tells me Windows failed to start. Using the Windows installation disc doesn't work. A message at the bottom says "The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors."

I've tried to do a clean reinstall using the Media Creation USB but all attempts to repair or remove updates end up with a Couldn't Repair you PC.

I take it then you wish to rescue data before a clean install of Windows.

Make a bootable USB of Ubuntu Live Linux. https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop Boot it up and click on Live Trial ( or something close to that ) and you can access the hard drive and copy off the data.

Ed Ziarko

I take it then you wish to rescue data before a clean install of Windows.

Make a bootable USB of Ubuntu Live Linux. https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop Boot it up and click on Live Trial ( or something close to that ) and you can access the hard drive and copy off the data.
Thanks for your reply.
The data on this laptop is really unimportant. I'm more interested into getting it functional again. I use it for browsing while exercising. After trying many different options I leaning toward the 'hard' drive (actually a eMMC, 32 GB) may no longer be functioning. Using the USB Ubuntu you suggested I was unable to view any of the existing files within the Win 10 OS. I find it difficult to believe that the eMMC drive coincidentally died while getting a Win 10 update from Microsoft.

With Legacy Support enabled (under boot options in BIOS) I get a "Selected Boot Image did not authenticate" message when trying to boot up.
With Legacy Support disabled, I get a "Windows Boot Manager" window where "Windows failed to start."
It goes on to say:
1. Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language setting, and then click next.
3. Click Repair Your Computer.
File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
At the very bottom: ESC=UEFI Firmware Settings

When I use the USB (created with the Windows Media Creation tool) I get a Windows Setup dialog box asking for Language, Time and Currency Format, Keyboard or Input method. The "Next" button lets me choose "Install Now" or "Repair Your Computer".
"Install Now" leads nowhere since it presents no drives for the installation location.
"Repair Your Computer" leads to two choices: "Troubleshoot" or "Turn Off Your Computer". The only choice under Troubleshoot that gets any meaningful result is the Command Prompt which does get me a terminal window.
Is there anything else to do or is the drive dead?

See new update for HP stream is available... Use that version and it will work hopefully.
Another way is to change run program with windows 7 compatibility mode.

Ed Ziarko

Nothing I plug into the computer recognizes the 'hard' drive, the eMMC. Even ubuntu on the USB claims "Unable to access location" when I select the Windows Network in the Files icon. It appears the only thing I can access is the bios.

Ed Ziarko

Underneath Troubleshoot, you can try Startup Repair
Troubleshoot provides six choices: Startup Repair, Command Prompt, Uninstall Updates, UEFI Firmware Settings, System Restore and System Image Recover. The only one that actually does something is Command Prompt. All the others lead nowhere.
Startup Repair specifically states; "Start Up repair couldn't repair your PC"

Ed Ziarko

See new update for HP stream is available... Use that version and it will work hopefully.
Another way is to change run program with windows 7 compatibility mode.
Without access to the 'hard' drive, there is no chance of installing anything let alone an update.

Couriant

James
In command prompt, type diskpart and press enter. Next, when the prompt is ready type list disk and press enter. It should look like this:

1620159186113.png

If you do not see the drive (you may see just the USB stick), then the BIOS/Motherboard is not seeing the drive.

Ed Ziarko

In command prompt, type diskpart and press enter. Next, when the prompt is ready type list disk and press enter. It should look like this:

View attachment 287394

If you do not see the drive (you may see just the USB stick), then the BIOS/Motherboard is not seeing the drive.
Yes that is exactly what is happening. The USB is showing up but not the 'hard' drive. That is why I am inclined to think the eMMC, for whatever reason, has been fried and is no longer available.

Looks like I am out of luck. Agree?

Couriant

James
Yes that is exactly what is happening. The USB is showing up but not the 'hard' drive. That is why I am inclined to think the eMMC, for whatever reason, has been fried and is no longer available.

Looks like I am out of luck. Agree?
A possibility, but I think it may just be how the drive is now set up and the computer can't see it.

I haven't had the pleasure to use eMMC memory so I cannot say how to check it for sure (i.e. putting it in an enclosure)

Is this HP Stream under warranty by chance? If you don't know, what is the serial number?

Edit: forgive my ignorance... I completely forgot that the e in eMMC is embedded, which means it's soldered on. Without warranty, there is not much else you can do at this point it seems. One solution would be to clone the drive to a SSD drive then boot from that, but you can't access the drive...

Maybe connecting an SSD drive and see if you can see that... and if so you should be able to install and run Windows from that?

Last edited:

Ed Ziarko

A possibility, but I think it may just be how the drive is now set up and the computer can't see it.

I haven't had the pleasure to use eMMC memory so I cannot say how to check it for sure (i.e. putting it in an enclosure)

Is this HP Stream under warranty by chance? If you don't know, what is the serial number?

Edit: forgive my ignorance... I completely forgot that the e in eMMC is embedded, which means it's soldered on. Without warranty, there is not much else you can do at this point it seems. One solution would be to clone the drive to a SSD drive then boot from that, but you can't access the drive...

Maybe connecting an SSD drive and see if you can see that... and if so you should be able to install and run Windows from that?
This HP Stream is well out of warranty; bought in 2016. What is on the existing drive is unimportant.
I have seen updates available that basically take the eMMC drive out of the picture. The Wifi card is removed and an SSD is installed in its slot. Then you need to install a USB Wifi. It's probably more effort than it's worth.

I did install Ubuntu onto a 60 GB 2.5" drive that works with my HP Desktop but for some reason when I try to use it with the HP Stream the display is messed up. It's basically a blue screen with a date at the top and the word "Activities" in the upper left hand corner. I suspect a particular driver is missing and the normal Ubuntu display isn't showing up.

Couriant

James
Is that a LiveCD version, or were you trying to install Ubuntu?

Ed Ziarko

Is that a LiveCD version, or were you trying to install Ubuntu?
Using the USB with Ubuntu (acquired from https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop) installed, I tried to Install Ubuntu from the stick to the 60 GB drive using the HP Stream. When the 2.5" drive with Ubuntu installed is connected to my HP Desktop it works fine. When I tried to do the same with the defective HP Stream I basically get a blue screen with a few words but no icons. As I move the mouse around I get an indication that the icons exist they just don't show up and clicking on the ghost icons results in no display.

managed

Allan
Did you click on 'Other locations' in Ubuntu's Files explorer ? If not the eMMC drive could be listed under that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online