1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved HP Support Assistant won't load on my Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by linsjean, Dec 2, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

My HP Envy laptop is one year old.
    I subscribe to HP Smart Friend for $15 a month for tech support. I called them to do a remote session because I had zero HP support Assistant icons on my taskbar. He installed one, and it would not load. He unisntalled, reinstalled and ended up with 2 icons. The logo for HP Support Assistant came up but would stay stuck in a loop, never loading. He disabled McAfee temporarily and tried again. He said he would call me back this coming week. He seems to think that a little time will fix it all.

Windows is updated as of today. Is it time for me to do a complete factory reset?

I am not sure if I trust these HP Smart Friend folks. They put me on hold for a long time probably researching what to do.

Now I am getting side notifications from Skype everytime my friend sends me a message. I changed it in settings, but they keep coming through and gets right in the way as I am typing a response back.

I better get my files and data and photos and documents backed up to prepare for the worst case scenario.

Any ideas that I can try first?

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In my opinion, you are wasting your money by paying HP $15 a month
    https://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/getpdf.aspx/4AA6-7504ENUS

I am not suggesting that HP do not provide a service or indeed that the service is not good quality
    What I am sure of is that all of what they offer is available HERE on this site free of charge and most of what they use is included in 10 by default and free of course with 10

Your computer will not work well with McAfee, that is NOT to suggest that McAfee itself is the cause of problems on 10. Any third party AV program is far less compatible with 10 than the included Windows Defender. All of these third party AV programs work well, until there are system updates to 10, or often the major security patches.
    Then most of them produce problems, with Store app and windows updates itself.

That all said, it is no use you using assistance here and then expecting HP to start again when
    he comes back to you.

You need with respect to make a decision, as to how far in advance you have paid and which way you want to go.

I am convinced I can solve all your problems, but NOT while you have McAfee installed, and to take me up on that offer would be most unwise, if you wish to continue with HP Smart Friend

3. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Fair enough. I just un-installed McAfee from my computer and enabled Windows Defender. Yes, I could drop my subscripton with HP Smart Friend, but if my computer decides to take a dive, then I would be able to call them to help me boot my computer. I did make a recovery disk (actually on a 32 gig flash drive) when I bought this computer 1 year ago. I can promise you that I won't be calling them or receiving their assistance. I just need a little reassurance that you can help me with my HP Support Assistant not loading at all. I am backing up all of my important files right now.

I forgot how to change my signature that shows up after each of my posts. I no longer have the HP Envy m7 laptop. I have the HP Envy x360.

So, please tell me what is first step to troubleshoot or fix my issue with HP Support Assistant.

Thank you.

4. Macboatmaster

run the mcafee uninstall
    https://service.mcafee.com/webcente...enterWidth=100%25&_adf.ctrl-state=sjw36xfhu_9

despite it saying that you only need to use it if the windows uninstall is unsuccessful you should run it anyway
    Then completely shut down as here
    Step 1: Open Start menu, select Power button.

Step 2: Press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down, and then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.

REBOOT and then open a cmd prompt with admin rights
    that is
    • In the Cortana search field, type in Command Prompt, or just CMD.
    • Right click the top result, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Click Yes on the popup to allow the app to make changes to your device.
    type
    sfc /scannow

If it reports ALL IN ORDER THAT IS GOOD CLOSE THE CMD WINDOW
    If it reports errors could not be fixed shutdown as above reboot and run again
    If still errors run once more
    If still errors shutdown - fully reboot open cmd prompt and type

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

when you run the latter cmd you must be connected to the internet, you are best copying and pasting that latter cmd it saves you working out spacing
    report the results please

5. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

RESULTS: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

Please give me the next step to resolve my HP Support Assistant issue?

6. Macboatmaster

Please provide the model number of your HP Envy X360 eg
    HP ENVY x360 - 13-ag0003na

and the serial number
    https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/laptops
    on that link it tells you where to find the serial number on the product label

and the version of windows 10
    for example 1909

7. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Can you read this? I am attaching a scanned document with all the info. I have Windows 10 - 1909

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  8. Macboatmaster

Cheers got the details I need

Go to Control Panel
    find HP support Assistant and uninstall it
    Then fully shutdown as previously described
    If there are two listings for HP support assistant then uninstall ONE fully shutdown
    reboot and uninstall the other
    fully shutdown and reboot

Then go here
    https://support.hp.com/gb-en/driver...del/21869521/swItemId/ob-223206-1?sku=3EC81AV

1 . Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Then when the instructions have been completed IF they do NOT include restarting the computer please do so as a full shutdown and then restart

Check if it is now working

You may note that the download states windows 1903 However if you click the drop arrow next to that you will see it is NOT only 1903 and if you look at the release notes you see this
    https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/958/col86164-ob-223206-1-ob-223206-1_sp93097_releasedoc.html

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  9. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

I hope you can read the small print, lol

Attached Files:

10. Macboatmaster

Yes I saw it on your post, after it was not on the attachment and I have posted the instructions on my last post

I am signing off now
    Back online about 1900 UK time

Other people may come in on the topic to offer help, if it has not worked.
    Whether you follow their advice or wait for me to return is of course entirely your decision.

11. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Great! Next? It must be getting late for you.

12. Macboatmaster

I do not understand - see my post 8 for next steps and now my goodnight message on 10

13. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Oh, I see it now, sorry about that. goodnight. I will report after following your instructions.

14. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

I removed one HP Support Assistant and did the proper shutdown. I still see another HP support assistant icon on bottom taskbar .

I am attaching a capture of what I saw in the control panel. I removed the one that you see checked. Should I un-install anything else that has HP in the name? I don’t want to go to the next step of installing drivers until I know all copies of HP support assistants are totally gone. From now on I will abbreviate SA for HP support assistant. I clicked on the one and only SA on my task bar and it gave me a pop up window saying, “You will need a new app to open this hp support assistant link…Look for an app in the Microsoft Store”.

Out of curiosity, I went to the link for the download and it is sp93097.exe. I still have the old exe file that Smart Friend left on my desktop and it is sp99450, so obviously he downloaded the wrong one for me.

But my question is, how do I get this extra SA off my computer before I go any further?

Attached Files:

15. Macboatmaster

I would not be so bold as to say that, as I do not yet know what that is

Please install the HP Support Assistant from the link I sent following carefully the instructions on the install

We will if that works deal with the
    remaining unwanted icon for the HP SA in the notifications area - later

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice