1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Tech Support screwed me

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VivaceConBrio, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VivaceConBrio

VivaceConBrio Thread Starter

Ok before I get into my problem, here's a little about my notebook - I trust that these details may be somewhat helpful in attempts to resolve my issue:

I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 (RG364UA#ABA) with Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    version 5.1.2600 (media center) service pack 2.0 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz version x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 current speed 1660 MHz

Let me start by thanking you for your patience as you read this. I contacted HP Tech support via chat numerous times to discuss general questions around some concerns I had regarding a "space issue" I was having. The "space issue" actually was caused by a surplus of photos I had in "MY PICTURES" which I thought I had removed after I burned them to a disk as well as video files located on another user profile.

Anyhow, I contacted HP support and was advised to do a "non destructive" recovery and was completely assured that this would resolve my problem and all files and applications would remain in tact unharmed. Well that was crap. :mad:

Once the recovery process was complete, all user information was gone. No user profiles existed on the login screen.:confused: I had to recreate a user profile. The recovery reverted everything to "factory settings", however all files were found on the old user profile which was located under "documents and settings" on the c:\ drive.

Also, all applications still appeared under All Programs on the Start Menu, however when trying to load a program (I installed that did not come on the machine, photoshop elements), I got an error message regarding a dll could not be found, licensing information and serial keys could not be found and the program had to close. I tried to reproduce the problem so i could list the exact error message, however now a new error message : The action you have requested could not be completed because the application is not responding. It may still be loading or waiting for a response from you..

This pretty much goes for all installed software that didn't come on the machine. This all makes sense because the applications i'm trying to access are not on "Add/Remove Programs". I attempted to copy over all data from the old profile to a new one, however not sure what this accomplished except for taking up more space.

So i'm guessing that when you install software, the registration keys and info associated with "whatever" user profile, were hidden when the user profie was wiped when i did the reovery. (again-- all of the app data still remains in a subfolder under the old profile as mentioned above).

So with all this said, I've backed up my documents, photos etc.. however i want to recover my applications. Some which I don't have the software anymore. Now.. because all of the files and stuff are supposedly still here.. How can back up my install files and license keys?? I would love to recover the old profile, but if this is not possible, any suggestions on how I can get my apps back in working order?? I don't know that much about REGEDIT and i'm terrified of making changes, & honestly prefer not to go that rout.

Lastly, since I copied over all from the other user profile, I now I'm back to the space issue. Which, the C:\ drive reports that I have only 9.62GB free. I really need to get my computer back in working order, I have so many things I need to work on and am limited by this.

The aforementioned issues are not a result of any virus or adware. I've run scans and all report clean. I do need to reinstall my norton 2007 internet security because this was reverted to the trial 2006 version which came on the machine. I've not done this because of the free space.

I certainly appreciate all the help I can receive from those more technical experts than myself and look forward to hearing from you.

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

Wow, you definitely had some major issues...always hard when that happens.

For your licenses and codes, I would suggest visiting http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and get the Belarc Advisor. When you run it, it produces a great report of all the hardware and software on your system...including most of your licenses and key code information.

Good luck.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you have copied files from the old profile to the new, plus did a backup of your data, you should be able to get back space by deleting the files from the old profile.

I'm not sure what kind of "recovery" you did. It sounds on the one hand like a repair install because your programs are still in All Programs. But I don't understand why they won't run and don't appear in Add/Remove Programs. When I did a repair install I had to reinstall my HP all-in-one drivers/utilities but otherwise all was fine. Except for the same annoying new user account.

I think that you are going to have to install those applications.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If HP doesn’t understand your problem, or know how to fix it …
    The easy way out is to tell you to do a restore.
    Then you’ll go away for several days, and maybe fix it yourself.
    This puts it back to the way you bought it.

HP doesn’t list the specs for your computer, so I can’t find how big your HD is, But 9gig free is not enough.

I would not have copied ALL from my users files .. But only put back in what I needed.

You will have to reinstall all your Non-HP applications fresh.
    Don’t think they can be put back in from wherever you saved them without the install Software.

This first thing I would have done .. is Trash Norton.

As TerryNet said .. Maybe you should start deleting stuff after you back it up.

Which Version of PS Elements ??? .. this is on XP ... right ???

5. zabusant

zabusant

Most of your programs are unusable now, I would start by deleting the files they left behind. I hate HP.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Not sure I'd Blame HP .. They all have to work the same way.
    They all have Bill Gates in common.
    I've always wondered .. Do people get filthy rich by being nice people ??

Sounds like you need to get an external HD (or two) and run all your Data from it.
    While your at it, get >> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    and with some backup planning .. You'll never have this problem again.

I can rewrite my HP operating systems, fully loaded, updated and ready to run…
    in less time than I can read a recovery DVD … even if I have to replace a HD.

A couple months ago ..
    I had to do this several times before I figured out I was being messed over by a M$ update.
    WMP11 and IE7 updates are now, not allowed in my HP computers.

7. VivaceConBrio

VivaceConBrio Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies. I find the info very helpful. I liked the Belarc Site.. very useful! Acronis True Image looks good too! I'm pretty sure i'm going to have to reinstall everything which I'm tiffed about doing.. but whatever is necessary to get my computer in good shape.

It was advised to "trash Norton" any suggestions on PC security? Also, HP Sent me an upgrade from XP to Vista. I've not upgraded, because of fears I have associated with the install. Is Vista worth me upgrading? Or should I continue on with XP Media?

One last question.. before I do a destructive recovery (I'll start fresh)

Is it possible that when I had 2 trojans (back in march) - one was removed and the other was not able to be cleaned... I paid the geek squad for basically nothing.. well to remove them and restore my computer.. this happened in march only after I had my computer for a few weeks (christmas gift). they weren't able to clean one of the trojans, so they did a destructive recovery. Is is it possible that the trojan they couldn't clean infect the recovery console, so when it re-installed everything, it reinstalled itself? The reason I ask, is that I had another infection in June, and the computer guy told me that the infection was left from March and that when I upgraded from Norton 2006 that came with my computer (trial version) to 2007 internet security, it didn't see the virus. So the geek folks removed that one too.

Basically, is that possible? I thought that once you did a destructive recovery it returned the computer to "out of the box " condition.

So if I do this now...another destructive recovery....am I just setting myself up to experience these same issues in the future? Again, I appreciate any and all advice you all can give! Please keep it coming! :)

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I thought a fresh recovery was a clean start.
    I'd more likely believe that something you installed, put the Virus back in.

I use the free AVG, Zone Alarm and WinPatrol.
    Then depend on Acronis to do a fresh recovery when/if needed.
    Takes about 15 minutes .. Data not included.

As I build up a fresh install, load my favorite programs, updates ..etc ...
    I keep a couple of Acronis copies of my work.
    Nothing tunes up a computer like a fresh install.

I upgraded to Vista, but didn't see anything I liked.
    Luckily, I did this on a spare HD so I still have a good XP computer.

I'd be interested to know if the (HP) Vista upgrade included the HP supplied applications .
    or will you loose them if you upgrade to Vista, using the HP upgrade.
    It's my opinion .. Vista Pretty - is only monitor deep.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Which Vista? I don't have Vista, but have done some reading. In my opinion Vista Home Basic is not worth learning new terminology if you like XP.

I think that "recovery," with whatever adjectives, refers to Windows installation. To make sure you clean off malware (along with everything else) you format the disk. Then you are truly starting with a fresh computer.

I recommend that you run the Vista Upgrade Advisor http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...83-c24f-4863-a389-3ffc194924f8&DisplayLang=en to make sure you are not going to have headaches with drivers or applications after upgrading. Connect and turn on all printers, etc. when running it so that you get a complete picture.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!