1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hp wants me to flash my bios!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by plutar, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plutar

plutar Thread Starter

I recently was using a trial version of Alcohol 120% to mount an image on a virtual drive, after I was done with that I tried to unmount the image and it said my trial was over! Suddenly Xp was very sluggish and in the task manager it said that system idle process was at a lofty 97 under cpu usage... I couldn't do anything but turn off my computer. Now I can't even boot into windows. I can only go into safe mode. In the device manager I have code 37s under plug and play Bios extension and PnP Bios extension. I already did the uinstall reinstall bit with those two and that failed to make a difference. Hp says I need to update my bios, however The program I downloaded won't run, presumebly due to me being in safe mode. Hp has suggested that I make a boot disk but I can't seem to figure this out... Suggestions? Help? Mainly I want to know if I can fix this without flashing the bios but if I can't can somebody give me DETAILED step-by-step instructions on creating a boot disk with my bios update files on it? Thanks.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

zHard to imagine this is a BIOS problem if it was working prior the the alcohol fubar

If you have a Windows XP installation disc, you could do a repair install . . This is a good guide to performing a repair install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice