1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Win98 scanner software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ritagoldberg, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ritagoldberg

ritagoldberg Thread Starter

I need to reinstall my HP scanner on a Windows 98 machine, but HP no longer provides Win98 software for downloading or on 98. Can someone tell me where I can find this software?

2. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

What model scanner is it? You can most likely find the drivers at http://driverguide.com

You have to register to download, but it's free.

That's pretty cold of HP to just cut off Win98 users like that. I guess they want you to buy a new computer, hopefully an HP!

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

HP also does that with their camera drivers. If you lose your old Photosmart 318 drivers, your camera doesn't work anymore. Makes me want to rush out and buy another HP. (n)

4. ritagoldberg

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I was not familiar with the site, but it looks like I will be able to find what I need there.

I'm not very happy with HP on this matter. The only Win98 support they were providing was the possibility of downloading the software or ordering it on a CD. Microsoft, of course, has also eliminated support for Win98, but their support, it seems to me, is much more complex (i.e. expensive).

5. ritagoldberg

Yes, really. I think my next scanner will not be an HP. Although other manufacturers probably play the same tricks, HP is the one that concerns me right now, and the action I need to take is clear.

6. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

If you have trouble finding the right drivers on that site, just post back with the model of the scanner and I'll see if I can find it. They have thousands of drivers there, and it can get a little confusing as to which is the correct one.
    Good luck. (y)

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have always found HP is one of the most difficult resources to deal with for change. Often upgrades in OS leave HP printers and scanners isolated. Often drivers they offer don't even work with their devices so I have to agree with you.
    I buy HP laser pronters because they are the best and laptops the same way and that's it!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice