1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp windows 10 black screen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by CalebC, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CalebC

CalebC Thread Starter

Brand new here cuz i’m in need of some help from smart people.
    So i think i made a mess of things.
    I got the dreaded blue screen of death. I couldn’t figure out what to do so i reset w10 and kept files. It took a while. After it restarted the screen was black and then there were crazy blue stripes like the moniter was broken. I held the power butten till it shut down.
    When i started it back up, it said it was installing wondows. Then the screen went black.
    I restarted it again and it went to the login page. The image shook and the screen went black.
    I restarted it AGAIN, and it said it was undoing changes. Then the screen went black again.
    So that’s where I am.
    Can’t go to safe mode cuz I can’t keep the login page for more than 3 seconds.
    Sooooo, what now?

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    The first step is to follow the guide below and boot with the USB drive. Then see if you can access the command prompt. Do you happen to have any restore points prior to this happening? How long ago did it happen? Do you have your files backed up if you need to perform a clean install?

How to make a bootable DVD or USB via the media creation tool
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3. CalebC

CalebC Thread Starter

Thanx for this. I will try this when I’m at my laptop next. I had to put it away before i threw it out a window.
    I do have most everything backed up portable hardrive, but nothing from the past 6 months unfortunately.
    I do have a restore point from last week 8/30, but everytime i tried to restore to it, it said it couldn’t perform this function or something like that.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay. Once you have the Win 10 boot drive. Try the following steps. Let me know if any questions.

Step 1:
    Boot with USB
    Click Repair your computer at the Install now screen;
    Click Troubleshoot at Choose an option screen > Click Automatic Repair
    Choose an account from the list to continue at the Automatic Repair screen
    Wait for the process to finish
    Test and let me if it helps or not. Move to next step if not

Step 2:
    Boot with USB
    Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt

Type or copy and paste the commands below and press Enter after each one.

Change the all c:/ commands to the correct Windows drive letter below. If you need help, copy and paste the following command:

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this will display the correct Windows drive letter) see following example:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit |find "osdevice"
    osdevice partition=C:

1. d:
    2. cd d:\windows\system32\config\regback
    3. Dir (This will list the contents of regback, note the date and be sure that the contents are not empty. If it is empty then this will not work STOP and DO NOT proceed

1. copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)
    2. Select ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied
    Restart computer and test

5. CalebC

CalebC Thread Starter

Dumb question, if i plug in my usb hard drive, how do i download windows on my broken laptop? Should i use another computer? Like borrow a friend’s?

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Did you try the steps above and it did not work?

As long as your hard drive and other hardware is good then you use the Windows 10 USB you created to install Windows on the same computer. If that is what you want to try then follow the steps below. Let me know if any questions.

1. Backup Files using one of the following methods

2. Backup your drivers using https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6179-double-driver.html

3. Create a report of the software installed and licenses using Belarc Advisor

4. How to Clean install Windows 10
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us.../aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08?auth=1p

7. CalebC

CalebC Thread Starter

Sorry, i meant how can i DL w10 FROM my laptop to my usb drive if I can’t keep my laptop running for 30 seconds before the screen goes black?

8. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay then yes you need to use another computer to make the USB.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice