1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Windows recovery

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Stephan, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stephan

Stephan Thread Starter

Hello.

I've recently bought me a HP Pavillon t150 desktop PC with pre-installed Windows XP. But because of the fact that Windows XP doesn't work with MS-DOS specialized software I had to reinstall this PC with Windows 98. So I just dis a format c: and started to install Windows 98 again with help of an official installation CD. Which did work perfectly. The only problem is that non of the drivers for can be installed. Which means that the PC is next to useless. Even the flat panel screen can't be set on 800x600 resolution.

Strange thing is that the discspace on c: is only about 4 GB. This should be 60 GB. Somehow it seems that Windows XP is still there.

My questions. How can I install Windows 98 properly on a Windows XP pre-installed HP t150.

I hope somebody can help me.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Well usually PCs that come with WinXP pre-installed are partitioned with a NTFS file system. That's a non-DOS partition. Win95/98/ME require a FAT/FAT32 file system. Did you re-partition the HDD to a DOS partition before the format? That may be why you're having trouble.

3. Stephan

Stephan Thread Starter

No I did not. I only used the Win98 startup diskette with the CD Rom and installed it. Is there there still a way back to the original Windows XP ?

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Well, without knowing more I'd say that if you place the Recover CD in the drive; Shut down the computer; Wait 30 seconds; Then restart your computer it should boot off that Recover CD and display several options to you. To actually go back to the originally installed software you'd choose Factory Default, or the option that has the word Factory in it.

Reply to this and tell me how it went. You should be OK if you never disturbed that System_ Sav partition/Drive.

5. Stephan

Stephan Thread Starter

Ive contacted the HP helpdesk. But they van only help me with a recovery CD for Windows XP. Which will reinstall XP at any time.

But I would really want to Ron Windsows 98 on this PC.

Will Windows 98 (on main PC) and Windows XP (2nd PC) work in 1 network ? If so then I will go for XP. If not I have a hugh problem.

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Sure you can network a Win98 and a WinXP computer. Really I've heard your best bet would be that the WinXP computer would be the main one though if you're going to use Internet Connection Sharing, I think you'll find. You need a Router with with a firewall and integrated Hub to properly Network. But you probably know that.

Please see the following printable attachment on Starting From Scratch. You'll have to re-partition the whole HDD (remove all partitions; Then re-partition w/ one (1) partition using 100% of the drive) on this target HP though, delineating any chance to go back to WinXP as far as I know because that will delete the System_Sav partition necessary to use the Recover CD and likely voiding your warrantee.

It would wrong for me to advise you to void your warrantee! Contact HP technical support and get it in writing to ensure that removing that special Ssytem_Sav partition will not void your warrantee before proceeding, please.

Attached Files:

7. Stephan

Stephan Thread Starter

Wow, that sounds like serious talk. This afternoon I removed all partitions and formated it. Tried again to install Win98 to see what happened. Again the same. A row of uninstalled devices and no proper screen to look at (640x480). Even after installing the right screen driver.

But wait... do you tell me that I removed System_Sav. So there is no turning back to Windows XP ? I hope you are wrong this time. The HP helpdesk told me different. Although I hope they understood what I was asking them.

Next week I will recieve my HP Win XP recovery CD. I will keep you informed.

Thank for all your help and advices.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice