1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP with Vista will not boot properly...and beeps loudly.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Freq, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freq

Freq Thread Starter

We have an HP Pavilion dv2700 laptop, purchased in 2008 at Circuit City in the US. It runs Windows Vista Home Premium. It's developed a problem that prevents it from booting. When I press the power button, the HP welcome screen with the boot options flashes (usually too fast to press F8), then proceeds to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen. There are two options here: "Launch Startup Repair" and "Start Windows Normally;" also a countdown timer of 30 seconds that says the highlighted option will be executed if no selection is made. If I use the arrow keys to select an option, the timer goes away and I am unable to select any options using the Enter key (it's like the Enter key is disabled). If I let the timer expire, another screen comes up that says "loading windows files." A loading bar flashes across the bottom of the screen twice then the "Microsoft Corporation" logo appears with the normal loading graphic scrolling horizontally just above the logo. It seems to get stuck here.

If I attempt to hold down the power button to power down the computer, it will initially shut off for about one second. It then powers back up automatically with a blank screen and begins beeping very loudly. The beeps are a steady pattern of one long beep followed by two short beeps. At this point, holding down the power button will not shut down the computer. The only way to stop the beeping is to remove the battery from the bottom of the computer and/or by unplugging the power supply.

I do not have a Vista recovery CD for that computer (I have one for an ASUS laptop).

Thanks for reading this far! How can I get the computer to boot properly?

2. Freq

Freq Thread Starter

5 days in the forum and no one has any ideas?

3. vicks

vicks

To move your thread up in the line type BUMP.
    You mention you have no time to use the F8 key, immediately when you turn the power on start tapping the F8 key.
    Vicks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/991279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice