1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp with xp windows not taking to new wireless system

Discussion in 'Networking' started by oldstyleguy, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldstyleguy

oldstyleguy Thread Starter

My old Actiontec M1000 modem recently died and my HP nc6120 with windows XP can not connect to the wireless network through the new Actiontec C1000A model. It connected wirelessly through the old M1000 moden. Window icons on the screen indicate no wireless network is detected. When I view the available networks and log in to the assigned network with its password, it looks like it is trying to connect but does not. It will connect through the ethernet link-up. I don't have any other wireless devices to connect to the network. I have updated the drivers for the wireless card through HP. I have taken the HP nc6120 to the Geek Squad and the wireless card connects with their network. I seem to have a compatibility problem with the old HP with its XP windows operating software and the new modem system. I have tried to reset the ip addresses, but this has had no effect. However, I do have purchased AVG protection software operating on the system, which I am not sure how to shut off. Is this a problem with a too advanced modem for an old style HP with an XP operating system? Is there a modem that I can downgrade to if it is? As I have noticed that most posts require an ipconfig/all and its results, I have included them in this post. Any help would be appreciated.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-3fab642071
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-38-1A-BE-33
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:07:52
    AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 15, 2013 10:07:52 A
    M

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-00-0B-35-E7

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what security are you using ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove the wireless security
    Is your wireless security enabled?
    if so - log into the router and remove the wireless security - now see if it will connect.
    if it does - log back into the router and try with the wireless security enabled again

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. oldstyleguy

oldstyleguy Thread Starter

I can not log into the router (or don't know how) and remove the security. I had the company for my internet service (Centurylink) go in and remove the wireless security password for the assigned network. I still could not connect to the internet through the new unsecured network. I have AVG internet security 2012 installed on my hp. I disabled the AVG and tried to connect on the unsecured network again. Same result. No connection. Should I disable the AVG security again and reset the IP address again or try to remove the AVG security totally from the computer and reset the IP address? According to the internet representative there is some sort of security on my laptop preventing connection (which of course they don't cover). Is there something besides AVG that could be causing this?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall AVG and run the Remover.

Sure. What (other than AVG) firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

Do you have service pack 3?

Are you positive you have the latest wireless driver from HP's site? (Just double checking; I did see that you had done that.)

What wireless utility are you using and are you sure no other one is running? If you haven't tried the Intel Proset utility try it. If that is the one you are using try using XP's WXC instead (although that seldom is successful with that adapter).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice