1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP won't startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carlleetos, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carlleetos

carlleetos Thread Starter

I'm having some issues with an a6502n desktop. it is currently not starting up. the issue started when my wife was playing wow and it crashed and came back up scrambled on the BIOS screen. we were at that time able to manually shut off and reboot fine. Currently it does not start at all. i have replaced the video card (thinking it burned out), the ram, and the power supply. currently it does turn on but most of the time nothing at all comes up. It will power up and all the fans turn on and stay full throttle the whole time it is on. occasionally i can get it to start to boot up it will get to the windows screen be kinda grayish and then cut back off. i was thinking it could be the processor? any ideas on what i can do?

2. HCD

HCD

Sounds very much like processor is struggling. If you know enough on"looking inside the box" - (contrary to all the c..p you hear about thinking outside of the box!!!!!!). Check the dust levels over the processor unit.

3. carlleetos

actually after much arduous work i cleaned almost every spec of dust out of that darned box... could it be that the gunk on the processor (name escaped me) could have gone bad and overheated it?

4. arknorth

arknorth

5. carlleetos

no its not i'll look up the model when i get home. i thought i remembered it right but probably not.

6. By_Rock

By_Rock

Are you sure power supply working well? Or did you change power settings on bios?

7. HCD

HCD

Is this sorted - or do you still have problems? did cleaning the box resolve?

8. carlleetos

no still having the issue. the model is actually a1610n sorry about that. cleaning didn't work didn't have much dust in it.

9. arknorth

arknorth

Okay, here's what we're working with... or at least what it started out with...

Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard
    Model : Pavilion Media Center a1610n
    Standard Memory : 1.0 GB = 512 MB (removable) + 512 MB (removable)
    Number of sockets for upgrade : 4
    Maximum amount of memory : 4.0 GB
    Memory must be installed in set(s) of : 1
    Bus Type : PCI/PCI Express 16x
    HardDisk Bustype : Serial ATA II and Ultra ATA/133
    CPU : 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Standard Videos : 256 MB DDR (shared)
    Video Comments : GeForce 6150 LE
    HardDisk Comments : 250.0 GB
    Model Comments : GeForce 6150 LE Chipset
    Native OS : Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Service Pack 2

Okay, from what you said in your first post can be a number of things, and seeing that it is an Athlon can be another. And just to add fuel to the fire, this is a Media Center, who plays around with a 64-bit software that is kinda hard to replace. Here we go...

1 - What HCD said is very true - When Athlons first came out, they were forever blowing up. They rectified that situation later on, but the problem did come back a little when they started coming out with the X2 package (twice the cores, twice the heat). So it could be on it's last legs.

2 - The semi-boot - this also can be caused by the processor only getting partly through the startup cycle, but its also the sign on a dying hard drive.

3 - Motherboard issues - This is where I'd be leaning - seeing that it was doing some heavy graphics processing (WoW), there's more than just the video card that gets a workout. With a flashlight, look in and check the capacitors (those cylindrical can-like things all around the motherboard), Take your finger and touch the tops of them - they should be flat. If they are bowed out, there's a good chance thay are fried or frying (hence the sometimes on - sometime off startup). The reason I lean towards this is because normally, once an Athlon blows, they don't even give you the privilage of seeing anything - they just shut down. This would lean me towards a motherboard replacement.

Good luck!

A-N

10. carlleetos

okay i'll give this a shot. would you suggest trying to swap the processor or would you suggest to go with the motherboard right off?

i've already done a little shopping and have come down to trying:
    ECS A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Have not seen too much on the processor side. any specifics i would need to know on that. i'm not really up to dat on motherboards or processors as i havent had to replace either of these ever =/

11. arknorth

arknorth

I'd check those capacitors first. And remember, if you want an even swap (IE: a simple moving of processor/hard drive(s)/etc... to another motherboard), you would have to get another HP motherboard from this type of machine, otherwise you would have to replace your OS (what you have was setup for the old motherboard).

You're at a point of decision - find the same motherboard, or you could upgrade to something stronger and better. You may want to check on the gamers on what they suggest on that (I'm a graphics/writer/artist side, where we want power, but aren't as concerned with speed - IE: Pentium). What you might want to do is see if there is a local computer store (non-big box - the small guys tend to be more personal) who would be willing to test your processor and motherboard for you. Only take the board and processor though, since they will charge for removal.

A-N

12. carlleetos

It's been a while i havent been around, but i think i found what youre talking about. The little black cylinders all around the processor right? it seems a couple are slightly bulging. it's very hard to tell almost unnoticeable. does that sound about right? most of them are completely flat but 2 or 3 are off as far as i can tell. i'm going to take it in and have it tested on my day off.

13. arknorth

arknorth

That would be the little buggers, yes. And if, as you say, some are bulging, that's not good (these are like those cans you see on electric poles in your neighborhood - ever been around one when they go boom? Same situation here, just a smaller package.)

Good luck!

A-N

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice