1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP work station

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by treborb, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. treborb

treborb Thread Starter

Greetings,
    I have a HP desk top. Every now and then the start up screen would start up and restart, etc. I reset the memory and it all worked fine. This kept happening more and more. Now it just reboots and there is a very fast blue screen with righting I can not read. I took the hard drive out and tried making a second hard drive for my pc. Any help would be great!!

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I don't know quite what that statement means.

I recommend you place the drive into another system as a secondary, back up your important data and then place the disk into its original computer. At that point, you can restore the computer to its original factory configuration and reinstall all your programs.

3. treborb

treborb Thread Starter

I got an external hd housing. I assume I can use that? Or does it need to go into another system as a slave? Thank you for responding so quickly!

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

USB adapters aren't the best method for handling a problem drive. Connect it internally to a desktop computer as a secondary to copy (back up) your data.

5. treborb

treborb Thread Starter

I took the HD out and put it into my other PC. It did not see the HD. Is there something I am missing?

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

It depends on whether it is SATA or PATA (IDE). If SATA, and it does not show up in either Disk Management or My Computer, here are the possibilities:
    • The channel to which it is connected is turned off in the CMOS setup.
    • The drive is dead.
    If it is PATA (a flat, usually-gray, two-inch-wide data cable), here are the possibilities:
    • The channel to which it is connected is turned off in the CMOS setup. If you already have other devices connected to that channel (cable) that are working, the channel is not off.
    • You have the jumper set wrong. In that case, simply disconnect any other device on that cable and make your problem drive the only drive on the cable and try again.
    • The drive is dead.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice