1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP380 "run as" command problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mrsunclephil, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrsunclephil

Mrsunclephil Thread Starter

After having uninstalled my printer driver and now attempting to re-install it, I get this error command:

"This software cannot be installed using the 'Run as...' command. The installation cannot continue until this is resolved.

"Required Action: Click Cancel to exit this software installation. Log off and then log on as a user with administrator privileges. (Contact your system administrator for more information.) If there is no system administrator, have the primary user of this computer install the software. Restart the installation by removing and re-inserting this installation CD".

I do have admin privileges - I am the only user. I have tried installation using the "run as administrator" without success. I have now disabled my user account control, but still cannot get past the barrier. Is there any way to bypass this?

I am running Windows Vista Home Basic.

When I initially installed the driver on the computer, installation ran smoothly; the driver appears to be up to date (the intaller checks the HP website); I am flummoxed!

Many thanks in advance ;)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the full description of that HP printer? There are several models that have a "380" designation. If you don't know for sure, look at the sticker and advise what the product number and/or service tag number is.

You need to download and save the driver software file in your computer. You can't select the "Run" command from the HP download site.

Before you reinstall the driver, you need to uninstall the driver and all other components associated with that printer, then restart your computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Mrsunclephil

Mrsunclephil Thread Starter

Sorry. I didn't make 2 issues clear. I am using an HP Deskjet F380 all-in-one series. The problem is not downloading the software, but re-installing it, which creates the message given above.
    I downloaded the software from the HP website but ran into the same problem as above, as when I used the original disc, when I tried to re-install the software.
    Yes I did uninstall and remove all the components and restarted the computer as per instructions on the HP website and another forum.

A little further forward: accessing the Command prompt and running the programme from there as per another set of instructions I found, now enables me to move further forward, bypassing the problem I described above. However it is messy having to go to the C-prompt each time to work through the other problems that are coming up and which I am working my way through at present, a little at a time.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and software site for the HP Deskjet F380 All-In-One which you should add and save in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so it's readily available whenever you need to refer to it.

I personally have 3 HP all-in-ones(F340, F4180, C4280) and am familiar with how to get them working, so I'll give you my advice on what to do.

Leave the F380 turned on, but disconnect its USB cable from the computer.

Go into "Programs And Features" and uninstall all components and add-ons that are associated with that printer. Ignore any warning that appears and do not restart your computer yet.

Next, go into the C:\Programs Files folder and delete the entire HP folder.

Next, restart your computer.

Start the install process of the driver software package.

Choose the Advanced option, decline to check for updates, then choose the Custom option.

Select those 4 components:

HP Photosmart And Deskjet Drivers

HP Solution Center

HP Imaging Device Functions

HP OCR Software

They're the only ones that are actually needed for printing and scanning.

If you decide you want to install some of the other extras, that's your choice.

Connect the F380 to your computer when prompted, then wait for it to be detected.

Decline to sign up, choose not to be reminded of it again, then exit.

Restart your computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice