1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP4000 Printing VERY Slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rwrussell, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rwrussell

rwrussell Thread Starter

I have an HP4000 plugged directly into my computer running XP Home SP1. When I print a multipage document from a windows based word processor (Word or WP) the pages print one at a time (almost as though each page was its own graphics file). However, when I print from WP5.1 (DOS based) the pages coming streaming out the way they use to.

The printer is set to "Spool Documents" and "Start Printing Immediately". I've tried changing the Print Processor from WINPRINT, RAW to RAW [FF Auto} to NTEMF 1.008, to TEXT, and even to ModiPrint: RAW. Nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Unfortunately the newer window versions do send the information to the printer as a graphic file (the entire page) rather then seperate lines of print that rely on the printers built in fonts. I dont think that there is any way to change that. Windows is more graphical now. I think the only things you can do that might help are make sure that your system has at least 512 of memory and make sure that all the printers memory is showing up under its device options in the printer properties.

Also sometimes changing between a Postscript or PCL Printer driver can change the speed of printing. BOL

3. iSpec

iSpec

Not sure where you got the info that newer Winedoze version print as raphic. AFAIK that's an option with some drivers, but an HP LJ4000 should receive a PCL stream. Check if there is a 'Print as graphics' checkbox, and if yes, be sure to uncheck it.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

So the printer can receive a Printer Control Language stream. Its still printing a graphic page from windows. Thats why today you can just drop a picture inside of Word without thinking about it and print different fonts the printer doesnt have built in.

http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/win2k/win2kprinting.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice