1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP_Recovery

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ~OddBall~, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~OddBall~

~OddBall~ Thread Starter

Firstly, howdy all, hope you're having a good day. I've just got a couple of questions about HP_Recovery, I don't think that there's anything wrong, it's just my lack of knowledge on how to use the program.

To start with my Dad's keyboard on his laptop was screwing up a lot, like you would just tap a key and it would act as if it was holding it down, so to fix the problem he decided to reformat, or maybe he just reinstalled, anyway he used HP_Recovery to backup all his data.

Now what he did was create a folder called "My backup" which is on the C:/ Driveand and using HP_Recovery saved his files to it (Things like the Windows folder, Program Files etc.) Now after the reinstall, or format, whatever he did I'm not really sure....the folder is still there and I think a partition of the C:/ Drive was made as there is now a D:/ Drive as well. The thing is you can't access the D:/ Drive it says that you can't access it because if you delete the files it could screw up the computer...meh

Sooo in his "My backups" folder is all the stuff he wants restored, except I have absolutely no idea how to restore it all! The folders he backed up was Program Files, Windows folder, My Documents and some other stuff. Now I'm sure we'd all love to be able to just copy a Program Files folder and replace the current Program Files with it, but obviously you can't because that wouldn't install any of the programs. So yeah Just wondering how you restore the folder and its components to their correct places.

Sorry that was kind of long winded!:D

Edit: Alrighty I figured you need to use HP Backup and Recovery, after some fiddling I figured I'd follow an online tutorial because when it came to choosing a backup thing, no files actually showed up in the browser only the folders so I figured I was doing something wrong. Anyway I followed the online tutorial and found that I was doing everything correctly, however it then says browse to your backup file. Now I don't have a backup file i've only got a folder with all the backed up stuff on it and a D drive which is just a partition of the C drive. So I opened up "My Backup" just in normal windows explorer and found a file called "ntldr" and its extension type was just .file
    I went into the browser thingy again for HP backup and recovery but this file didn't show up. Another thing I noticed was that the D drive, which was just a partition (it was name HP_RECOVERY) didn't show up in this browsing window either, however if i open up my computer in windows explorer and click the plus icon on the D drive a file with a lock for a symbol comes up and it's called "Recovery" so I was thinking maybe this could be the file except the D Drive partition doesn't show up in HP Backups explorer thingy.

That sounds really complicated but the long and the short of it is, I can't find a backup FILE anywhere, just a folder and D Drive which is just a partition of the C.

2. Hughv

Hughv

His problem may have been "Sticky Keys":
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/le1.mspx
    Your post is a little confusing. The HP recovery program he used for backup should also be able to restore the files-I think all you want to restore is the My Docs folder.
    The "D" partition should be the recovery partition installed by HP, and should be left as is.
    Your father should get an external drive for backup, or learn how to backup to DVD/CD.

3. ~OddBall~

~OddBall~ Thread Starter

Ye, I already checked for sticky keys, it wasn't that. The thing is he needs to restore Program Files as well not just My Documents. Also he's in a hospital at the moment, so he can't go and buy anything, and I think he was kind of desperate for something to do so he just did it this way...I would have leant him mine had I of known.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice