1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hpdeskjet 656c problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anamandy, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anamandy

anamandy Thread Starter

I purchased an hp deskjet 656c which uses a usb cable as a backup color printer. After setting it up and installing the driver and software it wouldn't print out. The test page printed out but it wouldn't print anything else. I kept getting the message 'There was an error writing to blah, blah, blah'. It's not the usb port or cable because Windows recognized the usb port. After contacting hp they recommended that I add more memory, which I did, and reinstall the product. My system has 94% free memory and still I have the same problem. Now I can't use my other printer, Epson Laser, either. I keep getting the message that 'No Printer Found' in all my applications. Also, when installing the hp software an MS-DOS Prompt window popped up with the message 'Invalid Path. Not directory or directory not empty.' The hp tech told me that this meant nothing though I have my doubts. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times and did everything that the troubleshooting information that came with the printer told me to do and still no luck. Could you help me with this problem and help me get my printer back and possibly the hpdeskjet working? thank you

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you post the entire error message?

When you print the test page, are you doing that from within Windows?

3. anamandy

anamandy Thread Starter

I print the test page when asked to by the printer installation program. It prints out perfectly, but when I try using it to print out Word doc. or wordperfect docs. or evedn wordpad docs. I get the error message that 'there was an error writing to my printer. Printer not ready'. I solved the other printer problem by deleting the Epson Laser and reinstalling it. Uninstalling and reinstalling the hp printer application is definetly causing problems with my computer. It's causing other applications to not work properly.

4. ~Candy~

Does the printer appear in the printer section? Is it set for default?

5. anamandy

anamandy Thread Starter

Yes, the printer shows up in the printer section. But whether it's set for the default printer or not it still doesn't print or it will print half the page and then I get that message again. But I really think the problem has something to do when I install the problem and a pop up Dos Prompt box appears with the message 'Invalid Path. Not Directory or Directory Not Empty'. I don't know what this means and neither did the technical staff at HP.

6. ~Candy~

When you right click on the printer, then go to properties, details, what port is it trying to print to? For spool settings, do you have it set to EMF or RAW?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice