1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hping3 gets no response when using TCP protocol

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vinaur, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinaur

vinaur Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to use hping3 to diagnose some packet loss/congestion problems I am experiencing. I am pinging from a linux box (behind a router) across the internet to a windows 7 box (also behind a router). hping3 works with ICMP ECHO request packets (by receiving back ICMP ECHO response) and it also works with UDP (by receiving a "udp port XXXX unreachable").

Note that I have forwarded the XXXX port on my router that's in front of the windows 7 box. The port is forwarded for both TCP and UDP packets. Also, the Windows 7 firewall is disabled.

Now, based on my understanding, I should be able to get the same "port unreachable" reply for a TCP ping, but I get no response at all.

Are my expectations incorrect, or do I need to mess around with my setup to get this to work?

I shouldn't need to be forwarding anything on the router in front of my linux box, should I?

Thank you!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice