HPProduct assistant.msi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pjwilliams35

Hi
My laptop, running Windows 10, has just recently started trying to install HPProduct assistant. msi . This has just started in the last week or so, around the same time as it failed to install the latest updates to Windows 10. Before I take an axe to it can anyone come up with a solution, maybe one will fix the other?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
In order to understand better what we are dealing with here, please download and run the TSG System Information Utility on the affected PC, and then post the results back to this thread.

Presupposing this is an HP-branded machine, I'm guessing it's trying to update this particular application, which is valid (see here). However, I'll wait to see the information you provide before commenting further.

pjwilliams35

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190617145559.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Hard Drives: C: 697 GB (418 GB Free);
Motherboard: Acer EA50_HC_CR, ver Type2 - Board Version, s/n NBC0A11001242560BE1601
System: Acer, ver ACRSYS - 1, s/n NXM09EK002242275C51601
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks for posting this information. Since your laptop isn't HP-branded, do you have any HP peripherals, e.g. printer, scanner, etc? Do you notice this MSI trying to install at particular times, e.g. upon login after a reboot? I also recommend checking in your list of installed programs to see if HP Product Assistant is noted there. If so, and you really don't want it, uninstall and reboot your machine.

pjwilliams35

Thanks for posting this information. Since your laptop isn't HP-branded, do you have any HP peripherals, e.g. printer, scanner, etc? Do you notice this MSI trying to install at particular times, e.g. upon login after a reboot? I also recommend checking in your list of installed programs to see if HP Product Assistant is noted there. If so, and you really don't want it, uninstall and reboot your machine.
Hi, I've an HP Photosmart C4480 printer/scanner. It pops up shortly after starting up. I've uninstalled all HP software and there are no HP programs showing in the programs menu but when I left click on the windows icon in the bottom left and it opens up the list of apps it shows HP and HP Solution center. When I expand the 'HP' is comes up with Add a Device, Help etc. When I right click on the HP solution center it lets me select 'Uninstall' and takes me to the list of programs but there's no HP program there!

pjwilliams35

Hi, I've an HP Photosmart C4480 printer/scanner. It pops up shortly after starting up. I've uninstalled all HP software and there are no HP programs showing in the programs menu but when I left click on the windows icon in the bottom left and it opens up the list of apps it shows HP and HP Solution center. When I expand the 'HP' is comes up with Add a Device, Help etc. When I right click on the HP solution center it lets me select 'Uninstall' and takes me to the list of programs but there's no HP program there!
Thanks

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
From what you describe, it seems like it's set to run at startup. Right-click on your taskbar and then left-click on Task Manager. If the More details icon is showing at the lower-left of the window, click on this to expand the details. After that, click on the Startup tab.

This gives you a list of applications that run automatically at startup. Look for the HP application in question, click on it once to highlight it, and then click the Disable button. You should see the Status column change to reflect this switch.

Reboot your machine, log in, and then it should stop nagging you.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You don't necessarily need the HP Digital Imaging Monitor running at startup. I recommend disabling this, rebooting the PC, and then see if you're still being nagged with the MSI.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yeeha! You sir, are a steely eyed missile man! I wonder why it started doing it?
I'm thinking there was an update to the software and it was just trying to run that all the time. Regardless, it's not really important. I'm glad this worked for you, and I'd be grateful if you would mark this issue as Solved (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online