1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HT lock an image on my desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tricon7, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

With XP I was able to select a single image to lock onto my desktop. I can't seem to be able to do it with Windows 7. If I go to desktop > personalize > desktop background, I click the Browse button to select an image. However, it only allows me to select a folder - not an image. I'm stuck at this point. My goal is that at work, when I have to lock my computer when I leave, or when I'm away for (I think) the 15 minutes setting, my selected image will take over and display for as long as I'm away and come back and log back in.

2. huggie54

huggie54

hiya, are you referring to a Screen Saver

3. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I guess so. I get the "screensaver" and "wallpaper" mixed up. Before, when I closed any open windows on my screen, I would see my selected image. Or when I walked away from my laptop and it stayed idle for - in my case - 15 minutes, it would revert to that image and lock. Then I would have to do ctrl+alt+del to get back to my desktop. This is the image I want to set. But evidently Windows 7 doesn't allow this. And I do not want a slideshow of images; I just want one.

4. valis

valis Moderator

that is your desktop image. All you need to do is find an image you want as your desktop, right click that image > set as desktop background. The machine shows the desktop when it is locked.

5. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I did that. When I do ctrl+alt+del to lock my computer, I only get my company's logo.

6. valis

valis Moderator

ah.....it's a work rig.......

chances are that it is tied down via a GPO; that is the way I have it here. You may have to talk to your IT department.

7. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

Not sure what a GPO is... I had this all working fine with XP, even with it being a work laptop. I wonder why Windows 7 does it different. :confused:

8. valis

valis Moderator

windows 7 definitely does. GPO is group policy object, set by your system engineers, i.e. the IT department.....I'd bounce it off of them first.....bypassing SE GPO's is a great way to get in hot water.....

9. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I'll talk to them. But if it's just a GPO that's the problem, why is it now an issue with Windows 7 and it wasn't an issue with Windows XP? Just wondering.

10. valis

valis Moderator

at my company, we allowed users to set their XP desktop. Due to an enourmous amount of complaints of risque, bad taste, and even album covers that left little to the imagination, we decided to nip that in the bud and instead pushed out the company logo on all desktops.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice