Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HT, numbers and stuff

4K views 83 replies 12 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I have a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT, in my BIOS it says HT is enabled, but when I ran a 3DMark05 - Free Editon test it gave me a whole bunch of stuff, which in sort says: "HyperThreadingTechnology Available - Disabled " Disabled? How do I check to see if it's actually working or not? Also what is supposed to be the speeds for AGP and PCI, when I boot up my PC it says 66/33, and 200 for my ram, which is ddr400. Could it be higher? I'm reading about overclocking, but I want to know if these numbers are atleast right for what they should be. Thanks

#2 ·
I would rather trust the BIOS than a free bench.. You should ask the company who made the bench first, and if they assure you that everything is fine, then check up your windows.. because the BIOS almost never go wrong.. ;) so if it says that HT is enabled, it probably is.. ;)

#4 ·
your clock speeds are correct. 33 for the AGP(<--don`t overclock this!) and 200 for the memory, which the memory is both dirrections, 200mhz in and 200mhz out for 400mhz total. Right where it`s suppost to be. :)

#7 ·
SirKenin said:
You can overclock the AGP/PCI bus. I have it overclocked on mine with no problems. It all depends on whether all your add-in cards can handle it or not.
some video cards will fry if you increase the AGP frequancy, HDDs become corrupt without a PCI lock, because of that, I would never recomend overclocking the AGP/PCI buss.

#8 ·
HDDs do not always become corrupt. I can cite many cases where both the HDD and the PCI/AGP cards could handle it. It is all very much dependent on your specific hardware.

To say that you should never overclock those buses is erroneous I'm afraid.

#9 ·
I have corrupted many HDDs from overclocking on a system without a AGP/PCI lock. If it could save one person from frying his card, or losing all his DATA on a HDD, then yes, I recommend to never overclock the AGP or PCI buss.

#10 ·
Well then you suck :p lol j/k

I haven't corrupted one yet. You just got to know what you're doing I guess. Actually I'm running this system right now that way. It's very smooth. I likes it. I said yesh, I likes it a lot. :)

#11 ·
but can you run any benchmark which shows a gain from overclocking the AGP?? I have yet to see one in all my years of overclocking. Can you show me one overclocking tutorial that recommends overclocking the AGP/PCI bus?? Every one I`ve read said just the opposite, to find a motherboard that has a locked PCI bus so you don`t overclock it. If your overclocking your AGP, your not gaining a thing and may in fact be slowing killing your rig.

#12 ·
I haven't done any comparisons to know. I just know there are three settings and I chose the middle one. It works fine. The video card is smooth as a baby's bum and it never overheats so I figure I got it goin' on mister. :p

#13 ·
turn it back down, don`t overclock the AGP/PCI. The video card core and memory-yes, but not the AGP\PCI frequency. Trust me. It was really stupid for them to put that option into the BIOS, it should never have been there.

#17 ·
SirKenin said:
Who cares what they say.. If it works it works. If it offers some performance gains, bonus time.
But it doesn`t offer any performance gains at all, and you could be doing some people a very bad disservice by saying it`s 'okay', specially after someone tells you it`s not okay.

#18 ·
But the thing is, I have proven several times that it's fine. You're doing them a disservice by closing their minds to the possibilities. Overclocking the bus is definitely within the realm of possibilities. Soooo.. Just leave it alone. Just because you weren't successful.. The better thing to say would be that you weren't successful in your attempts, but it can and has been done.

I will get around to doing some benchmarks tonight if I remember (and I have a really short memory, so you may have to remind me) and I will post them back here.

#19 ·
wow, dude... again, you can NOT show me one overclocking tutorial that says to overclock the AGP/PCI bus, are you saying every single overclocking site on the net is wrong and you alone are right??

#20 ·
Whoa. Hang on here a second buddy. Cool your jets. For one, you haven't provided me one lousy link that has said specifically not to overclock the AGP/PCI bus. Until I see that I will presume that none of them have said that and you are making things up to defend your position.

Second, I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm saying that it is safe to do so even if they say you don't need to.

I will tell you right now what they DO say. They say to lock the bus to allow for higher, stable overclocks. Driving the AGP bus up too high from overclocking the FSB can cause instability. And they are right. However, if you are not in pursuit of the ultimate o/c, overclocking the AGP/PCI bus is fine. I know this for a fact. I do it.

#21 ·
just cause you 'do it' doesn`t make it right for everyone who may be reading this forums!! :eek:
Go read some overclocking sites, I`m not going to argue with you, it`s a widely known fact among overclockers not to overclock the AGP/PCI, you don`t wanna take a suttle hint, that`s fine with me.

#22 ·
Again, show me your proof.. I told you what your beloved tutorials say. I even told you why they say it. Now, prove me wrong... This "I'm not going to argue with you" crap isn't going to wash. First, I don't like to think I'm arguing with you, rather having a discussion, and second you can't just run in here, pretending you know everything and that every bloody site on the internet backs you up and then go running off without providing us with any proof. What the hell kind of tactic is that? We're having a discussion here, let's discuss.

The ball is in your court. Show us the proof that you are right and that what I say is forbidden as you have suggested (several times). When you do that I will publicly stand corrected. Until then, I'm calling your bluff... Show me your hand.

#23 ·
I already did. selective reading skillz??

Rukee said:
I have corrupted many HDDs from overclocking on a system without a AGP/PCI lock. If it could save one person from frying his card, or losing all his DATA on a HDD, then yes, I recommend to never overclock the AGP or PCI buss.

#24 ·
That's not the proof I'm asking for. You are telling us about all these websites that back you up. Let's see them. They must say that you are right and I am wrong. They must contradict everything I have told you.

No offense, but you coming in here saying "Well I had a bad experience" is rather meaningless, as it doesn't support your argument that you have reiterated to me several times. You have the backing of the entire web. Show us.

#25 ·
from the first overclocking guide I happened to come across..
" boards (except for the KT880) did not have PCI/AGP bus locked. This meant that as the FSB was raised, the PCI and AGP buses would rise as well, causing instability, and even hard drive corruption."

So if you happen to be lucky enough to have a MB with the PCI lock, overclocking the AGP/PCI will cause the same instabilities and possible corrupted hard drive. You lock the AGP/PCI so that you CAN overclock the rest of the system without those instabilities.

#26 ·
I think I just finished saying that in post 20.

SirKenin said:
I will tell you right now what they DO say. They say to lock the bus to allow for higher, stable overclocks. Driving the AGP bus up too high from overclocking the FSB can cause instability. And they are right. However, if you are not in pursuit of the ultimate o/c, overclocking the AGP/PCI bus is fine. I know this for a fact. I do it.
That in no way states that you can not do it at lower FSB speeds and in no way proves your point nor disproves what I said.

Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.