.htaccess help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Soundnow

Here's the information on the situation.

Host
Netfirms

Directory where I placed the files:
[mysiteDOTcom/test/.htaccess
mysiteDOTcom/test/.htpasswd

File I'm trying to password protect:
mysiteDOTcom//test/Concertss.html

.htaccess configuration:
AuthName "Secure Place"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /ww/test/.htpasswd
AuthGroupfile /dev/null
require valid-user

.htpasswd configuration:
tim:$apr1$cC2 $qgqPSriDTRP7tHLsb69Mw.

I created the .htpasswd file with the program ".htpasswd.exe" from the DOS prompt. I created the .htaccess file by going to DOS and typing edit.

I am able to go to mysiteDOTcom//test/ConcertssDOThtml and get prompted for a password, however the password does not work. From reading around this site, I see I need to get the server path of the .htpasswd file. How do I get this? I am using flashFXP and frontpage and all I can get is the URL path.

Is there anything else I am doing wrong?

P.S it's ridiculous that we cant post URLS

You should remove the AuthGroupFile line, it is not needed.

Your htpasswd file should not be store in the same directory that holds your served files. Move it outside this directory, location isn't important.

The AuthUserFile is the path to this file on your machine.

What is the exact command you used to create the password file?

If you have access to Apache conf file, I would put your authentication commands in there and avoid needing the .htaccess files.

More info can be found here: httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html

if your are using a windows based server running IIS ther is a free program you can use call IISpasword that will install into IIS and give you a GUI interface to setup usernames and password and will create your .htaccess and .htpasswd files for you
http://www.troxo.com/products/iispassword/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online