1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Html Coading

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Steven715, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steven715

Steven715 Thread Starter

Hello i am creating a webpage It has a frame to split up the Menu and the body of the page how can i click a link in the menu and it bring it up on the outher side the body? How can i do this The menu and the main body of the page is 2 diffrent html documents.

2. cwolfe98

cwolfe98

3. Toddles18

Toddles18

you need to add target to your link, say your two frames are named nav and main. In the nav frame you have your links, which you would like to pop up in the main frame. To do this you would make your links like this:
    a href="http://thisisthelink.html" target="main" This is the link /a

you of course, need to add the <>'s to make this work correctly

4. Steven715

Steven715 Thread Starter

Thank you very mutch i will give it a try!
    Thank you very mutch! Once again

5. LittleBit36

LittleBit36

Thanks for posting the Goodies Url. It has come in handy. :)

6. Bob Henderson

Bob Henderson

Just a suggestion - we got so fed up with the hassles of frames that we now use includes for top bars and sidebars etc. You still only keep one copy of your menu but any scripts and links don't have to work out which frame they are supposed to use.
    Cheers
    bob

7. Toddles18

Toddles18

I've never heard of includes, how do you go about using them?
    Do you have an example I could see?

8. Bob Henderson

Bob Henderson

Server side includes - it depends on what scripting extensions your server uses - they usually support at least basic includes, but you can use asp or front page or cold fusion for example. See http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/S/SSI.html for some info
    Bob

9. Cyndee

Cyndee

You can set a default target frame in the "Head" section of your menu frame by adding the line (of course each line needs to be enclosed in the braces "<>"):

BASE TARGET=name

where "name" is the target frame.

That is an easy way to do it. However if you want to individually control targets for each hyperlink, you would add the Target parameter to each of your hyperlink tags within the <BODY> section.

For example:

A HREF="url" TARGET=name

again "name" is the target frame.

Hope this helps....

Cyndee

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice