1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

html code doesn't work with IE v. 6

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by mlmorris, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

I am running Win XP Home SP 2.

I recently decided I needed to educate myself on creating web pages/sites.

I purchased a copy of FrontPage, and a copy of a book by Elizabeth Castro entitled "HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS," published in 2003.

I tried to create a very simple web page using the book, and using (at first) Word Pad, then Notepad. When I try to open it using IE, nothing is displayed.
    However, when I enter the same info into FrontPage, IE has no problem displaying the page.

I very carefully compared the two (Notepad (or Word Pad) vs. FrontPage) to correct any syntax errors. Still no luck.

Now the curious part. I decided I was doing something fundamentally wrong and logged on to the author's website. When I attempted to view the examples for the the appropriate chapter (chapter 3), I discovered that I could not view the first three (or four) (using IE), but I could view subsequent examples. The website is www.cookwood.com.

So . . . is this a problem with the browser, or a problem with the code (I will post the code for any interested party). It seems to me that it is more likely to be a browser problem - and perhaps this message should be posted on a different forum.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2. Rockn

Rockn

3. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

To: Rockn

Thanks for the tip. I will try those other websites.

4. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

To: Rockn

I logged on to the html goodies website, and tried the "My first page" sample in the primer. I copies the markups exactly -- yes I checked and yes I found and corrected two errors.

However, I still have the same problem: the page will not open in IE v.6. So . . . either I have missed something very fundamental, or there appears to be a problem with the browser.

Here is the code:

<html>

<title>My first html page<title>

<b>This is my first html page!<b><p>

I can write in <i>Italic<i> or <b>Bold<b><br>

<hr>

<b><i>Or I can write in both</i></b><br>

<hr>

<tt>...and that's all</tt>

</html>

Have I done something stupid, or is there a problem with the browser?

Thanks for your help,

Mike Morris

5. angel

angel

I am by no means anything close to an expert but on first look your ending title tag is missing the / (should be </title>)
    Plus, you're missing the <head></head> and <body></<body> tags.

6. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

To: Angel

Thanks for your help - - and your patience. I entered those corrections and the page did display. I also reviewed my earlier efforts and found other errors.

So . . . I gues I win the Dunce of the Month Club award. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Thanks again.

7. peruse41

peruse41

mlmorris

HTML has to have an opening tag < > and a closing tag </ > for each item that is marked up. Below is a more correct coding of your first html page:

<html>

<head> </head>

<title>My first html page</title>

<b>This is my first html page!</b><p>

I can write in <i>Italic</i> or <b>Bold</b><br>

<hr>

<b><i>Or I can write in both</i></b><br>

<hr>

</p>

<tt>...and that's all</tt>

</html>

Notice <br> and <hr> and <p> have no closing tags ( </ > ).
    <br> = break, <hr> = horizontal rule. these tags do not need closing tags.
    It is always better to put a </p> tag at the end of a paragraph, which it looks like what you were doing to the body of your page.
    Hope this info is helpful

peruse41

8. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

9. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

10. IMM

IMM

11. driver2

driver2

Ahhh....maybe you are not changing the wordpad document extension. The extension on the file itself must be htm or html not the original...being a newbie maybe you didn't know this??? Example: the new file you create is called myfirsthtmlpage.doc ......you need to change it to myfirsthtmlpage.html. Just a guess judging by your initial problems.

12. Rockn

Rockn

the <body></body> tags do help don't they...LOL

13. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

To: All of you who responded to my initial posting.

Thank you for your patience and persistence--persistence in the face of my insistence that I had corrected all my syntax errors (when that was obviously not the case).

I especially thank you for responding politely, when the errors were so glaringly obvious.

Now that I have corrected the remainder of those errors, using your information, IE properly displays my page.

Perhaps it is time to close out this thread.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice