1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

html code for pop-up windows

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rick cousins, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rick cousins

rick cousins Thread Starter

Hi folks,
    Does anyone know the html code to make pop-up windows?
    The website software (Serif WebPlus6) we are using to update our site doesn't seem to support this.
    We are trying to create a pop-up window to feature a new product line and would like to use this feature to promote it.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for your help.:rolleyes:

2. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Most sites explaining Javascript will show you how to do this.

There are a couple of scripts here:
    http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/

That said, and of course, you didn't ask my opinion :D , but I strongly discourage popup windows. They waste system resources, interfere with what you're trying to read on the page, and clutter your screen and task bar. See the number of messages here, or at any web discussion, on the topic, and you'll see they are almost universally despised by web surfers.

IMHO, just an obvious new link (maybe with a cute non-irritating graphic) on your main page or under a Products menu would be much better received.

Happy programming!

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

BTW, there should be an option in your web design software to allow you to "Insert HTML" or "Insert a Script" or something similar, which is where you would paste whatever Javascript code you decide to use.

4. rick cousins

rick cousins Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys.
    I tend to agree that pop-ups are a nuisance and not generally favoured by many people.
    Our IT man was keen but I think we'll probably just use a link to a new page.
    Cheers, bye for now
    Rick

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!