1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HTML code is OFF........

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by puter hater, Sep 29, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. puter hater

puter hater Thread Starter

"HTML code is OFF" that explains I think why I can't post pictures. Or is it suppose to be off?
    Is there a reason that it is off? I don't see how to fix it either...

puter hater
    :(

2. hewee

hewee

Happy Birthday puter hater. :)

Yes the html was turned off here after so hacking was done by a couple people here.

But you have the img code that you can use. Just upload your image.
    Then edit your post and click the IMG button and pasted the link of the image into it.

3. puter hater

Wow, that explains everything. I havent been able to post a pic in a long time. I guess I missed the post regarding the hacking. Do you have the link to the string of post regarding the situation? Or was there even a post forwarning us of the html being shut down?
    ph

4. hewee

hewee

Yea that is it PH. :)
    That was back a couple months or more.
    I think it is in this forum but don't know just where.

5. RandyG

RandyG

Happy B-day puter!!

Here's the instructions on how to post an image now. It's the same as it was, but using vBcode instead of HTML. That thread should also start the explanation on why it happened.

6. puter hater

Thanks guys. I am another day older .....thats a scary thought.

I have been on the board regularly Im not sure how I missed the hacker mess but I will go and read .......

7. hewee

hewee

Thanks Randy for the link. :)

Good luck PH. :D

8. scmazter

scmazter

Hello, I just joined the community, and wondering: will there be any chance the HTML will be turned on any time in the future?

9. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I doubt it..

10. scmazter

scmazter

Oh but y not, every single other forum i've been to has HTML enabled lol!

11. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

That has already been answered in this thread...see Hewee's post.

12. HexStar

HexStar Guest

It was not a hacker. It was just a misunderstanding and someone posted a webpage that contained a MIDI file. The poster didn't know that MIDI ilfes could screw up other peoples computers, and then people started getting mad and chaos let loose in Random. Then someone turned off HTML. I just wanted to clear up that it was not a hacker or hacking or anything related to such nonsense.

13. RandyG

RandyG

It wasn't only one instance, Hex. It was some before that instance and some after.

The simple fact of the matter, when you allow HTML, you open the forum up to abuse, as well as porrly written code. When someone tries to post their code, and does not enclose it properly in php tags to keep it from running, or using spaces, etc, then it actually affects the board.

Don't take it personally, but there was some malicious use of the code as well as the mistakes by some users.

ok

14. scmazter

scmazter

Yeh but... Hundreds of other forums online about gaming, hardware, software, computers, anything all have HTML enabled, so arent we in a bit of a disadvantage with ours DISabled?

15. RandyG

RandyG

Nope, as it is only a "neat" gimmick, and we don't need them!;):D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice