1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(HTML / .JS - Based Tool) Piracy Dissuasion Methods?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by persop111, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. persop111

persop111 Thread Starter

Hi there -

Working on developing a tool that will be completely xhtml and javascript-based and will run on my customer's local machines within a web browser.

My concern is thus. The install program I'm putting together will require authentication and upon getting a proper key will install on the users machine / local drive. Problem is this. Javascript cannot access the local hard drive, so I'm kind of limited as far as ways by which I can dissuade would be pirates of copying and re-distributing the locally-stored html and .js files (which make up the entire tool I'm developing). I can of course obfuscate the files, but in the obfuscated form they are still functional.

Does anyone here have a clue as to how I may upon installation implement some type of user permission settings that correlate with perhaps a unique system id like a mac address, etc..., so the files (html and js) are given unchangeable (to a point) permissions that will only allow them to be opened on the machine they were legitimately installed on? I know this is a sticky subject, especially considering that html, xml, js are more or less meant to be open, but because they represent the bulk of this tool I'm developing and will ultimately (I hope) be selling to customers for a few dollars, I would like to make it as difficult as possible for large-scale unauthorized replication and redistribution to occur.

Any takers?

2. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485359