1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HTML Mail vs Plain text

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lola2001, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I normally use Outlook Express 6 but recently I installed Outlook to help someone troubleshoot a problem. It's still on my system but I do not use it.

Now whenever I send a message I get a pop up telling me that some people don't want to recieve HTML mail. Then it asks me how I want to send it; HTML or Plain Text.

I get this annoying pop up everytime I send mail and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I tried uninstalling Outlook but it seems I can't get rid of it unless I uninstall the whole office suite.

Any suggestions? Thanks

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi lola2001

When you installed Microsoft Outlook, it probably became your default messaging program.

In Outlook Express,
    Tools>Options>General tab,
    Under Default Messaging Programs
    Click on the Make Default button to return Outlook Express as your default messaging program.

You can also check Internet Options in the Control Panel,
    on the Program tab, look to see if Outlook Express is showing in the field for Email:

Let us know what happens.

3. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Thanks but that was the first thing I checked. Outlook is not coming up when I send email, just a pop up asking me if I want to send html or plain text. I figure it was because of Outlook because it started right when I installed it.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

In Tools>Options>Send tab,
    Mail Sending Format
    click on the HTML Settings button,
    what encoding do you show there?

5. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Quoted Printable

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

With Outlook Express closed:

Try reregistering Outlook Express
    Start>Run
    key in:
    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /reg

there is a space before the /reg

Reboot

Then open Outlook Express, and verify it is still the default messaging program.

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Also, check your Address book on the Name tab, see if there are any checkmarks for Send Email using plain text only

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/312553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice