1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

html object tag, standby attribute.

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by andynic, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

I have the following in my html code:
    <object data="../uploadimages/inkijkexemplaren/testMp4.mp4" width="100%" height="400" standby="Even wachten a.u.b. ..."></object>
    Although the mp4 takes a while to load the Dutch "Please wait" message does not appear.
    Is there something wrong with the syntax?
    I've tested it in Firefox and Chrome.
    Thanks for your help.
    Andynic

2. JiminSA

JiminSA

I rather think that this is one of those rare occasions when certain browsers choose not to support an aspect of html. I have made inquiries on the Google Chrome Forum on your behalf and will let you know of any responses...

3. php guy

php guy

Hey Andynic,

A little research into the matter shows that the standby attribute has poor support (http://reference.sitepoint.com/html/object/standby) and inconsistent behavior.

"Poor support is provided for this attribute. It’s probably better to use a JavaScript technique to create a custom content-is-loading message in the style of your web page or site, which can subsequently be replaced or removed once the object’s content has loaded."

4. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Hi JiminSA and php guy,

Thanks for your replies.

JiminSA, I'm interested to hear what you find out from the Google Chrome forum.

Php guy, using a javascript sounds like a good idea, but I have no idea how to get that to work just in the object tag (i.e. in the embedded portion of the webpage). The rest of the page loads "instantaneously". I think I know how to do what is suggested using a javascript function called via the onload attribute of the body tag, but I don't know how to do this callling it from the object tag. Can you provide some code to show me how to call such a function from the object tag, or point me in the right direction? I've checked the link you provided but don't find any further information there.

Thanks again,
    Andynic.

5. JiminSA

JiminSA

6. JiminSA

JiminSA

7. JiminSA

JiminSA

The Webmaster Forum produced a response of sorts...

8. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Hi JiminSA,
    Thanks for the time and effort that you put into this. Guess we will just have to live with it until web browser developers decide to conform to W3 standards which lists the "standby" attribute: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_object.asp
    Andynic.

9. JiminSA

JiminSA

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048055