1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HTML Page into Email

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by tlmm, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tlmm

tlmm Thread Starter

I have an HTML page which is a newsletter. I want to be able to add it to an email message so I can email it to people. I want it to be in the body of the email, not sent as an attachment.

There is a .htm page, several images, and a .css page. I need all of these to be embedded for the page to work correctly. I can put the styles from the .css file into the html page, but I still need to know how to embed the images.

I tried creating stationary, but it didn't put the images in the email.

I know it is possible to do this. Can someone give me some pointers as to how to get an HTML page along with several images into an email message.

I am currently using Outlook 2003.

Thanks!

2. ksuwyldkat

ksuwyldkat

Probably not the best way but it may work for what you need it to. In Word you can use the Send To under File and select the Mail Recipient option. This will allow you to embed a page into the body of the e-mail. This should have the same formatting and the images should be visible. The one thing is if the user prints off the page, the images don't appear.

3. tlmm

tlmm Thread Starter

Thanks!

Is there a better way to do this? What do you suggest?

I actually just tried what you suggested. In the received email which I sent to myself, it looks good, but the internal links aren't working. I have links so that the user can click and it brings them further down the page. There are also links that should bring the user back to the top of the page. Neither of these work. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

4. tlmm

tlmm Thread Starter

The hover functinality I have set in a style sheet also will not work. I moved the code in the style sheet to the header of the html file, but it still does not work. Other things set in the <style> tags are working though. The font type, size and color, for example, look fine.

5. ksuwyldkat

ksuwyldkat

You might try setting bookmarks for the links. I believe these still work using this method.

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

The HTML can be put directly in the email, the image and CSS files should be stored on the web. Just remember many people can't accept HTML mail at all.

7. tlmm

tlmm Thread Starter

I have managed to get the newsletter into email format and almost working. I open the html file in Word and File - Send To - Mail Recipient. This works correctly.

Had to make a few code changes in order for it to work within Outlook, but nothing too serious. The internal links are working fine now. I set the anchor as <A href="#name">...</A> in the link and then in the area I want the link to go to, set the section with the following: <A name="name"></A>.

My only problem now is that I can't get the hover functionality working, but everything else in the style tags work fine.

Thanks for your suggestions.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Like Brrenden said, most email clients and businesses do not allow incoming email in HTML format. You will be dissapointed when the majority of the recipients either can't read it or it gets rejected at the mail server and they complain they cannot read it.

9. tlmm

tlmm Thread Starter

What would you suggest be the best alternative for those who can't accept HTML emails? Send the newsletter as an attachent or have it posted on our web site to view?

It looks so nice in the body of the email, but I guess it's not much good if people can't read or don't get it.

10. Rockn

Rockn

A PDF is the most widely accepted attachment and it generally preserves all of your formatting except any active stuff like mouseovers or anything Java. Another reason most pople do not accept HTML formatted email is the possibility of embedded virus or malicious code that can execute on the recipients PC.

11. tlmm

tlmm Thread Starter

So you don't think it would be wise to embed the HTML page in the body of an email OR to attach the HTML page to an email?

The only reservations I have with PDF are that some people may not have acrobat and also on some computers it is really slow opening. I have not converted to PDF before. If I do decide to convert, how do I go about this?

I am thinking that I may just put the HTML page up on our web site and send people the link. Maybe this is the easiest way.

One question: If people do not accept HTML emails, do hyperlinks in an email work?

Thanks for your advice.

12. Rockn

Rockn

To convert it to a PDF I believe you need to purchase the full blown Acrobat application. The reader is free on Adobe's web site so there is really no excuse if they really want to read it. If you email the PDF as an attachment it will open 100 times faster than it does when you open one from someones web page. There are free converters for word to PDF but I don't know about HTML.

You could just send a link to the page. Links do work in HTML formatted email.

13. tlmm

tlmm Thread Starter

Thanks again.

I have to decide whether to send as PDF or just send the link. I think maybe I'll stick with putting it up on our web site and emailing everyone the link.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice